Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need some help

JoeBoz
JoeBoz Member Posts: 8
I have a beckett burner that will not fire powers up motor runs for 15 seconds or so and locks out while the motor is turning i tried to bleed the oil from pump but no oil will come out the bleeder and combustion chamber is dry as a bone.mi am thinking of replacing the pump it is approximately 3 years old and filter screen was pretty nasty. Let me you if i am in he right direction with the pump or not thanks joe boz

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,366
    First, the obvious that some times gets overlooked:
    Is there oil in the tank? Is the filter clean? Are there any leaks? All valves open? Is the coupling turning the pump?
    The proper way to check a pump is with gauges that are designed to do that.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • JoeBoz
    JoeBoz Member Posts: 8
    Yes on all, i thought that when motor running i should get a stream of fuel from bleeder no?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    Not necessarily. If the filter is really plugged, or if there is an air leak in the piping or filter (doesn't take much) you won't be able to prime the system whether the bleeder is open or not.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    +1 with Jamie and Bob...Proper gauges diagnoses your problem. When you took the pump strainer off, did you put the proper gasket back on the correct way?
    steve
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    check your pump coupling. It may be laying in the blast tube
  • ww
    ww Member Posts: 282
    edited October 2014
    I have two beckett burners..one for hot water use and the other for steam.

I've had this happen before. It's locking out and going on safety. These are basic ways to check things without fancy tools or gauges. If you don't have mechanical skills or are not able to comprehend and do the procedures I've outlined you'll have to call someone in. Working with oil burners involves fuel, flame and the chance of boiler fires amongst other things.

Do the basics as advised..
    1. Look at the pump filter. Take a tray and put it underneath the filter at the pump. loosen the 4 bolts and drain. clean it up and put a new gasket and filter. I've used the old filter plenty of times after washing it in fuel oil. Once you check that out...
    2. Do you have an inline separate general type filter?..If not..put one in when you get a chance..it's good to have this and keeps pump,nozzles,pump filter clean..if so..check that filter too and replace...When did this start happening...a recent oil delivery..when did the system work last? When I get oil delivered I shut off the boiler switch for at least an hour.
    3. Put a tray under the fuel line at the burner where the fuel oil comes out from the oil tank. See if the oil flows freely. It shouldn't just drip out . If it just drips out you have to check the line coming from the tank to the pump..run a snake through the line if necessary and also check for sludge in the tank and a clogged or broken valve at the bottom of tank.
    4. Once the line is clear and the oil is flowing reattach the lines to the pump...make sure the valve is open. If you attached an inline filter open up the little screw on top until the fuel oil shoots out..tighten the screw.
    5. Then open the bleeder screw on the pump until it drips out. Close the bleeder and put the burner switch on. If the burner goes on open and close the bleeder screw while the burner is on to get all the air out...then tighten the bleeder screw.. If the above was all true and you fixed that then I'd think it would work at this point..but..
    6. If the burner doesn't go on hit the red button once. If it goes off after 15 seconds then..don't keep pressing the red button..fuel could go into the combustion chamber and cause a boiler fire.
    7. Check for a clogged nozzle and put in a new set of electrodes.
    8. You should do this anyway providing it wasn't done recently. At least check the specs on them.
    9. If it still doesn't work check the transformer. You'd have to turn off the oil valve, open the hinged cover of transformer and see if there is a good spark using a screwdriver while burner is running with no fuel being delivered...make sure you have heavy gloves on. Make sure oil valve is off.
    10. Sometimes there are problems with the Primary Control and you can check that if all else fails.

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    JoeBoz said:

I have a beckett burner that will not fire powers up motor runs for 15 seconds or so and locks out while the motor is turning i tried to bleed the oil from pump but no oil will come out the bleeder and combustion chamber is dry as a bone.mi am thinking of replacing the pump it is approximately 3 years old and filter screen was pretty nasty. Let me you if i am in he right direction with the pump or not thanks joe boz

Fuel pumps don't wear out in 3 years. I've seen many that are 20+ years old.

You really have too many options as to what is wrong to answer with the information. If you changed the pump strainer, you need to bleed the pump. That alone is a chore. If you can't bleed the pump, you won't get fuel to the nozzle. If the strainer was plugged or dirty, the filter is probably a junk filter. The nozzle strainer can be plugged not allowing fuel to pass through it. You purge through the bleed screw on the pump, but the burner is going to stop on "Safety".

You really need guidance from a Professional. There's just too many things to check.
    RobG