Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Converted Energy Kinetics EK1 Oil to NG Efficiency?

Options
jra85
jra85 Member Posts: 1
Hi, I recently purchased a house that has an Energy Kinetics System 2000 EK1 boiler, and I've heard much praise about it by contractors who have passed through the house. Currently it's using oil, however I am planning to switch to natural gas as the existing oil tank appears to be on its way out, and rather than spend money for a new tank and staying with oil, I'd rather use that money toward converting to gas.

I know that the EK1 unit is touted as a very efficient burner for oil, but how does its efficiency when converted compare to dedicated gas burners? The energy company offers a rebate toward a new gas burner when I switch over, but if there is no real benefit to retaining the EK1 for gas over a pure gas burner, and the cost of repairing the EK1 (when the time comes) is higher due to its complexity, I'm debating whether it's worth keeping it.

Thank you!

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    It's be done. I believe you can search though the wall to find a thread about it. I've mostly seen them converted with Carlin gas burners with rather good success.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    A properly installed, sized and set up gas burner would be great there. I have seen Riellos and a old Midco Economite in EK2K boilers before. A Carlin EZ gas should be fine. get the specs on the proper tube.
    If the chamber is in good shape I see no reason to not do it.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    I would make sure with the folks at Energy Kinetics that a special Carlin burner from them may be best for the conversion.