Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Converted Energy Kinetics EK1 Oil to NG Efficiency?

jra85jra85 Posts: 1Member
Hi, I recently purchased a house that has an Energy Kinetics System 2000 EK1 boiler, and I've heard much praise about it by contractors who have passed through the house. Currently it's using oil, however I am planning to switch to natural gas as the existing oil tank appears to be on its way out, and rather than spend money for a new tank and staying with oil, I'd rather use that money toward converting to gas.

I know that the EK1 unit is touted as a very efficient burner for oil, but how does its efficiency when converted compare to dedicated gas burners? The energy company offers a rebate toward a new gas burner when I switch over, but if there is no real benefit to retaining the EK1 for gas over a pure gas burner, and the cost of repairing the EK1 (when the time comes) is higher due to its complexity, I'm debating whether it's worth keeping it.

Thank you!

Comments

• JStarJStar Posts: 2,668Member
    It's be done. I believe you can search though the wall to find a thread about it. I've mostly seen them converted with Carlin gas burners with rather good success.
  • kcoppkcopp Posts: 3,355Member
    A properly installed, sized and set up gas burner would be great there. I have seen Riellos and a old Midco Economite in EK2K boilers before. A Carlin EZ gas should be fine. get the specs on the proper tube.
    If the chamber is in good shape I see no reason to not do it.
  • Tim McElwainTim McElwain Posts: 4,279Member
    I would make sure with the folks at Energy Kinetics that a special Carlin burner from them may be best for the conversion.