Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pilot lit but burners not igniting

My sump pump malfunctioned during a heavy rain storm. I got a few inches of water in my basement. No surprise the boiler (a Weil-McLain) and my Rheem hot water heater both stopped working. I tried re-lighting the pilot. Couldn't even get the cover off the Rheem. But the Weil-Mclain I got the pilot going but nothing happened. No burners. No heat. Any (layman's terms) help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,160
    Did the water

get high enough to get into any of the electrics -- including any valves?  If so, you need to have a competent tech. come and replace -- not dry out, replace -- anything and everything in the valves and controls that got damp -- just damp even, not even under water.  No options.

At least that's my take...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Water

DO NOT USE THE APPLIANCES

This is a lot more serious than Jamie even indicated. Do not attempt to use the boiler or water heater. You have a serious explosion hazad if you do.
  • BillW
    BillW Member Posts: 198
    Shut it down immediately!

No combustion appliance that has been flooded is safe to relight. Do not attempt to! Flooded combustion appliances MUST be replaced. You are risking a fire or explosion if you do so. Look back at all the posts on this site's archives for any comments and advice from after Superstorm Sandy.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Insurance:

If you don't have it professionally repaired and the damaged parts replaced by a professional, if you have a problem, and you have a fire or explosion, your insurance company will be singing that old Weavers song to you, So Long, Its Been Good To Know You.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    Do not repair

flooded appliances "Replace Them".