Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Mark vs Martin

Larry Weingarten
Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,273
Hello All:  Thought you should know there is an interesting conversation going on at Green Building Advisor between our own Mark Eatherton, Robert Bean, Martin Holladay and others. It's here: <a href="http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/musings/all-about-radiant-floors?utm_source=email&utm_medium=eletter&utm_content=gba_eletter&utm_campaign=green-building-advisor-eletter">http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/musings/all-about-radiant-floors?utm_source=email&utm_medium=eletter&utm_content=gba_eletter&utm_campaign=green-building-advisor-eletter</a>   Perhaps some more wetheads need to chime in.

Yours,  Larry 

Comments

• jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,226
    radiant misapplication

If the home is quite tight and insulated heating method becomes less important. Hydronic radiant floor is excellent when it works but it can be a nightmare when there's problems with it. Counter intuitively it's wise to not insulate a heated slab. The lost heat builds up a reserve for when you lose heat. These GreenBuilding guys are smart theorists but not practical. For one thing energy is limitless so the sensible thing to do is make energy inexpensive.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Thanks

Larry,

Thanks for sharing this one.

I think "If it doesn't feel good, your doing it wrong" may apply here. Of course a high mass system does not belong in a tight house with lot's of solar gain. Siggy has written some great stuff on how to correctly apply radiant heat in a high efficiency house. I think Martin, who I enjoy reading, needs to brush up on his radiant. I think Mark is up for the task.

Jumper,

That's a good one!

I also like leaving all the windows open in the winter. It makes the air feel so fresh. Silly theorists.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Interesting debate

I find glazing alone to be of interest in itself. A 56* surface temp double glazed verses a 63* st triple glazed does not do much in reducing the MRT influx to the human presence in front of the window. For the cost difference between the two glazing assemblies. Money is far better spent in quality insulating window coverings if energy reduction is the goal since your lowest outdoor temps are usually at night there is not much to look at outside. Window covering are usually implemented in most decor anyway.
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Access Denied

Apparently my comments on the subject were considered offensive. I can no longer access the page.

Harvey
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    ACCESS DENIED

for myself also Harvey . Interesting how a well respected man such as Martin Holliday writes about a subject that he probably shouldn't and when called out , provided with facts and challenged to discuss so Green Building Advisor readers can make an informed decision or research more for themselves access to those involved in exposing that he did not perform his due diligence is denied so he no longer has to endure being wrong .

Could someone else please check if mine , Harveys , Marks and Robert Beans comments are still visible . 
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Oh well...

We tried, and if we keep getting the word out, in the end the people will be better off for it.

I guess in Martin's shoes, one might feel a little chagrined. However if someone discredits the work we do and love so much, the facts must be brought to light.

Harvey
  • Rich_49
    Will

Re up my GBA membership tomorrow . Think it may have lapsed , I will hold off questioning INTGRITY until they have taken my money and still deny access . Wonder if that's all it is .  Would hate to make public their actions on many groups sites and in associations . We did try , we did good too , hell we got thrown off , that's always a sign you made an impact  
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    732-751-1560
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Getting locked out of forum

This reminds me of this thread

http://www.heatinghelp.com/forum-thread/149762/how-prevalent-is-this

Wherein the Marvellous Mustashioed Mega Millionaire Merchant of Misinformation would tolerate no challenge to his own heating theories, and locked out the Wallies who disagreed with him from his Blog..--NBC
  • Rich_49
    I wonder

if the folks who pay 149.00 a year to be informed at that site would appreciate knowing that any opposing opinion or discussion that is meaningful and informative is censored .

Dan , Kudos for allowing pretty much all discussion to take place uncensored . We wetheads can at last know that on top of designing and installing the most superior and efficient systems we have integrity and transparency .

732-751-1560
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    Thanks, Rich.

I'm surprised he's doing that. Good points being made all around.
    Retired and loving it.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Critter Site:

I went there and apparently, someone has "critters" to send to anyone from specific sites. My computer had a fit and some virus protection I didn't know I had, informed me that I was being infected and needed to remove the virus immediately. And would I like them to do that for me? Just click here. It was supposedly from Microsoft. I've never seen a Microsoft symbol like that. Looked  like one of those Trojan Horsey thingy's.  McAfee said I was fine.

Now that I read all the other problems some had, I guess it was a sneaky way to deny access. I never heard of doing it like that.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    I neither registered nor commented

I can see most of the site, including http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/musings but the actual blog entries are not viewable.  Other blogs on the site are.

I'll take a look on a different computer from another location this afternoon and see what the experience is for an unknown visitor from an unknown IP address.
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Great debate

I personally think Marks argument and delivery came across a lot better and was more informative.G

Thanks for the link and as always a lot to learn from both sides.
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,273
    access denied

Hello:  I did talk with Martin about this a while back and he told me they were having some software problems.  Might be they still are, but I doubt the intent is to silence any debate.  I did just visit the blog and it has 123 responses, which I could get to this time. 

Yours,  Larry