Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Mass Oil Burner Exam

Options
GW
GW Member Posts: 4,692
about 9 years ago. There all sorts of silly questions that relate to the price of tea in China. If I didn't do the NEFI class, it would have been a bummer.

I wich you the best, good luck

Gary

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=171&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>
Gary Wilson
Wilson Services, Inc
Northampton, MA
gary@wilsonph.com

Comments

• Rookie
    Rookie Member Posts: 175
    Options
    re Mass Oil Burner Exam

Has anyone taken the Mass oil burner exam? I went to school and will be taking the exam soon, needless to say I'm a little nervous I have studied the code and the book, just wondering if anyone had some advice. Thanks.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • John@Reliable_5
    John@Reliable_5 Member Posts: 76
    Options
    Ma test info.............

My helper took it about a month ago and passed! Just read and understand code. Know the basics of how it works and you will be fine. The test has changed allot from when I took it, back then out of 20? questions 4 were about range stoves,which I had never worked on but got them all right because combustion is combustion I quess. Just take your time and think it thru, good luck John@Reliable
    P.S. which school did you go to? Also just remember and don't get down because once you pass it and have a lic. it will take a good year before you really know what you are doing and then a life time before you will know it all!
  • chuck shaw
    chuck shaw Member Posts: 584
    Options
    I found the Mass oil burner

test fairly simple. Having said that, I had also worked in the plumbing and heating industry for about 15 years at the time. I had take my journeyman and master plumbers exams. I knew how to read a code book before I took the class, I also spent about 2 weeks working with a friend doing clean and service calls and no heat calls. A couple of questions that I rememeber were 1)how do you set the anticipator on a thermostat and 2)At what height and where would you located the thermostat.

I do remember about 10 trouble shooting type questions, and about 10 code questions. The test was twenty questions total. I did not find it very dificult. It was mostly commons sense stuff. Most of it was on the installation side of things. Questions like, how far from the tank must the burner be.

Good luck with the exam and in your working future, and dont be a stranger to the wall.

Chuck Shaw

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • P. Smith
    P. Smith Member Posts: 20
    Options

I'm the helper john talked about, like he said I just took the Ma exam back about a month ago. I didn't find it to hard, it now has 50 questions and you need a 70% to pass. A litle trick I did which I think helped a lot was I kept track of the questions that I wasn't 100% sure of the answers on. I went through the test in about 45 minuts, when i got to the end i went back to the 10 or so that i wasn't 100% sure of, I probably spent another 45 minuts or so just on these. But i worked through it and narrowed it down to 5 questions. So in the end there each worth 2 points and I only got 3 wrong, so i'd say i did pretty well.
    Just make sure you know your code and combustion, that was what most of the questions were on , the rest were mostly on Installations and anual servicing of FHW and Steam, I only had 4-5 on air systems (3 were on wiring of air, these three were all ones that gave me a real hard time on the exam.

Just make sure that you get into a real good company and pay as much atention as you can, because reading it in the books and actually doing it is too diferent things. I relise every day that there is still so much I need to learn before im ready to be out on a service truck alone.
    I hope this info helps and Good Luck
    pondman
  • MikeR_3
    MikeR_3 Member Posts: 43
    Options
    New tests...

I took the test about a year and a half ago. I was in one of the first groups to take the new, standardized tests. I am not sure, but I think that there are multiple tests handed out, because I was one of about 30 guys that had all graduated from NEFI at the same time, and when we talked about the test afterward, it seemed that we all had different questions! I recall having very few, if any, electrical questions (Which bummed me out, because it was probably my strongest suit at the time!) I had a lot of code questions, and I remember questions about calculating minimum amounts of combustion air for confined spaces, tight construction, etc. Hope this helps, and good luck!
  • Rookie
    Rookie Member Posts: 175
    Options

Thanks for all your suggestions it will be great if I pass this test. My boss will definetly take good care of me, he actually paid for my schooling, he also let me post this to this forum. Thanks guys your the best.

• Bill Julian
    Bill Julian Member Posts: 162
    Options
    Ma Oil burner Lic

Im a licensed plumber in MA. Im thinking of taking the oil burner test. One question I been around the trade for 23 years. Does the state require schooling or can you take the course without schooling and if you pass you're licensed?? Thanks Bill
    wyo
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Mass oil burners:

You'll have to take a test.

You'll have to show some experience. You probably need some classes.

I took mine in the 1970's and where I worked, was pretty much wide open. I had to go to a Department of Public Safety and they asked me some questions. Today, its more organized.

Personally' I'd be spending my money on gas training. If you're a licensed plumber in Massachusetts, you must be doing your CEU's. 1/2 (3 Hours) are on gas. I'd be trying to hook up with Tim Mc Ilwaine for his gas training. If you can go gas, you can do oil. Not so much the other way around. Firedragon is the considered man for oil. But he's scaling his oil training back for gas.
  • Bill Julian
    Bill Julian Member Posts: 162
    Options
    Oil Test

Yes but is schooling REQUIRED. That;s my question,.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Required Schooling:

If it isn't, it will soon be.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    Go to

www.firedragonent.com and ask the question there. That is George Lanthiers website.
    Charlie from wmassZman
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    Thanks Tim

I tried to post that from my phone today, but could not get it to post. I went to Georges class for those who have been in the trade for years and found it both helpfull in passing the test and in improving my understanding of the code in the real world applications.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Paulkowzic
    Paulkowzic Member Posts: 1
    Options
    I was an oil burner tech for almost 20 yrs I let my license run out got sick of call now im kicking myself if I take the test for my license again how hard will it be for me to just walk in and take it has been about ten yrs
  • mhpatton
    mhpatton Member Posts: 1
    Options
    For anyone taking the oil burner exam the state recommends studying Residential Oil Burners 3rd edition and the current codes. Forget cmr527, The state will except and application with any experience, no schooling is needed. Check the state site and download NFPA 31
    Jabberwocky
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    Options
    Yes, apparently school is not needed, accept sometimes 😁. Which state?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,524
    Options
    Mass. 527 CMR is no longer the code. They dropped it about 4 1/2 years ago. NFPA 31 is now the code.
    Jabberwocky
  • Jabberwocky
    Jabberwocky Member Posts: 1
    Options
    I went to a school that was still citing Mass. 527, even the state website had 527 and the state replied that I had a bad cache of memory in browser which was false as I never accessed the site before April of 2019.

Out of caution I took the code course at Firedragon Academy in the Beckett Training facility in Sturbridge, MA. It was there that I got hooked up with NFPA31 and sorta got my head screwed on straight (I am coming from outside the HVAC industry).

I passed the exam and would have surely failed without that Firedragon course. I'm not sure Firedragon is staying alive, so I'm not sure how people will pass .. my school was a bit of a disaster.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Options
    Firedragon is still going as far as I know.

Massachusetts in it's wisdom (or stupidity) changed over to NFPA 31 on January 1, 2014? or 2015?. They never advertised the change or sent out any notices.
    All the schools were still teaching 527cmr, I don't think half the fire departments knew.

I only knew because I called the State Fire Marshall and asked
  • GW
    Options
    Wow I was wondering how this popped up on my account, this thread started 16 years ago?
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Leonard
    Leonard Member Posts: 903
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Is schooling required?....... I'm GUESSING not, but I didn't go for Furnace license.

Best thing to do is check with licensing board about WHAT their requirements are. Likely is clearly discussed on their website. Might vary by state, I don't know.

I have a MSME , in 80's I looked into Professional Engineering license requirements. Schooling was NOT required, but you needed extra years of experience if you didn't have a degree.

BUT you still had to pass written technical test. GUESS this was to allow OLD people with tons of "on the job" work experience but no degree to be licensed.

NO idea what rules are for furnaces.

For Freon certificate in the 90's New Hampshire wanted to make it easy to be certified so they hired a guy to give a 1 hour class on Freon handling rules, then you took a short written test. Likely could just take the test if you already knew the rules, but whole thing was only $35.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Options
    @GW
    That seems to happen here fairly often. Someone goes looking for an answer to their question and they pull up an old related thread and continue it........I guess.

I confess to not always looking at the dates of the posts
  • GW
    Options
    Ed, whatever makes the globe spin, I would do the same, I was just curious
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com