Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Will boiler/pump still work if both zone valves are closed?

Options
docancho
docancho Member Posts: 38
I have a water heating boiler with single pump for 2 apartments. Each

apt has separate zone valve controlled by separate thermostats.

I am debating between shutting of boiler completely nighttime 11pm-6am or setting a thermostats to very low temperature.

Setting to low temperature will have both zone valves closed – will the

boiler/pump still work or will it shut off temporarily until one of the

zone valves opens?

Thank you!

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Pump

The pump will turn on once a zone valve opens.

Why are you considering shutting the boiler off at night? Supposed energy savings? You probably won't see 2% because all the energy that you saved during shutdown has to be used to bring the structure back up to temp in the morning.

Your tenants won't like it either, and rightfully so. They paid for a heated apartment. If you did that to me, I wouldn't pay rent until you stopped. Most states have laws against it.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Bright ideas:

Who suggested this bright idea and why do you consider it a good idea?

It isn't. You must be some hard pass to even ask about it.

I have a relative through marriage that I call "The King Of Section 8 Housing" and owns a lot of property. He LOVES section 8 tenants. If his rent is $1,000. per month, Section 8 will pay $800.00 no matter what. He's made a profit whether or not the tenant pays, ever.

Even HE wouldn't consider turning the heat off at night.

He as been accused of having "Alligator Arms". His arms and hands are too short to reach his pockets to get out his wallet or lose change in his pocket.
  • docancho
    docancho Member Posts: 38
    Options
    Cost

Its for cost saving. I am not sure if 7hrs off = 2% difference given boiler needs extra power in morning to warm up.

My neighbor does it and suggested. I have talked to tenants and tried for few nights. Surprisingly apt temp does not fall below legal minimum while boiler is off during night.

I am looking for solution to keep heating cost to reasonable. From my experience, installing programmed thermostat with diff temp for daytime/nighttime does not work as tenants play with those and simply open up window if too hot.
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,247
    Options
    these comments are abusive

I've worked for many landlords. In virtually all cases the majority of tenants get along with their landlord. A small minority wants to fight rather than discuss.

Seven hours per day is too much. But a pleasant temperature for night time sleeping is below legal.