Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Taco zone valve control transformer question

Woof
Woof Member Posts: 2
Hi. I'm installing a taco zvc405 zone valve control. I had this transformer mounted on

the wall. I'm guessing I can eliminate this now, right??? Thanks!!!! Happy unhappy turkey day!

Comments

• Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Sounds good to me. *~//:)

a couple new receptacles might look good there one could be hot always and one could be switched thru the boiler switch letting you plug in a drop light or small battery charger or cell phone or whatever while working in the area with the boiler on . and run soot devil drills, sawzalls or whatever when it was turned off.

or put a 4 square blank over the box cap the wires and call it good.
  • Woof
    Woof Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Weez

Thanks Weezbo!! Good idea with the outlet instead of a blank plate.....
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Depends

On how many zone valves you connect and what their total amp draw is. Read the instructions - it's in there.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Might also be power for your...

Gas valve/ pump relay :-)

Don't throw it away until you're sure the boiler fires...

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Woof ,

Iron man and Mark also are offering up some salient points of interest .. : )

Most of my installs i use low draw Taco zone valves , and most of our equipment is oil fired ,

so no problem . however when i did instal a zv406 the other day to tidy up a rat nest of what goes where ?and no one knows,? what zone is what? or where the controls from This thermostat are run ? ...lol

i too checked the honewells and also found some field zone valves and transformers that did not even have any message to the boiler room or a Tstat to the boiler room for the zone they ran off of and by the way were not piped correctly even for that purpose .... i too check volts and amps ..

buh i got rid of the transformer stuck on the wall and tweaked in a receptacle .... because my 406 exp with priority has two transformers in it and has the zone valve issue down .

i also then gave the boiler more info than low limit control off a tri aquastat .

put it under Zone Valve Management ! lol...

zv managements a step above turning it off and on for the season : )))

i tried to tell them OR is the ticket buh the place has things like maybe i am the only one around now who has a clue .. the building was sold by some old timers kids after they passed on and well, lets just say the wiring , plumbing and heating is "Creative "

: )

no place within 50 feet of the boiler room for an extension cord that sorta stuff.

drop light fan any hand tools battery charger / gotta go look around this like 100 by 80 basement , there isnt even one by the transformer in the field under a crawl space ..

in the ceilings i found one : )))

so forgive my enthusiam for an additional recep check out the amperios and like Mark said gas valve might need require outside transformer ,

if it does well might consider moving it to the nearest side of the boiler and shorten up the wire providing the low voltage .

clamp an amp meter around the whole shabang feeding the switch zvc and boiler ,..on a call for heat from all zone valves and the burner at the same time ,

as you may still have room to spare on the amperage to have the new receptacle as well.

we wouldn't need to back track if i had given you better information.

if every thing is fine with the boiler and zone valves and you have no problem then it was a case of luck over draw. ; )

might not always be lucky is the truth of the matter . so if i caused you extra work that you have had to do as that was not the transformer for the existing zones which i should have asked rather than take the leap of faith it was , i apologize ...for not recognizing the possibility.

something indeed cautioned my reply and i did consider it before posting it . buh rolled with it anyway...

i get that more these days , let us know if that is indeed the transformer for the zone valves specifically and that all the t stats and zone valves work off of the zvc 405 ...

thanks.

Weezbo.
  • david sweet
    david sweet Member Posts: 7
    Taco zone valve control transformer question

Hi,

The Taco zone valve control (ZVC) has internal transformer(s), so any external transformers are not required and can be removed.

So now enjoy the long weekend…
This discussion has been closed.