Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

No heat on second floor

Atype
Atype Member Posts: 4
I bought a house back in March (forclosure). The house has 3 zones, 1st zone is the main first floor, the second is a first floor family room addition, and the third is the second floor.

Since day one the heat on the second floor never worked. Since winter is coming soon I decided to have it checked out. A plumber came and drained the system and replaced the head for the zone valve but its still not working.  We found out that the supply and return lines run in exterior walls. The piping at the second floor when it enters the second floor is extremely hot but the temperature cools down quickly 10 ft into the run. The plumber thought the line was partially frozen and would eventually unblock but that hasnt been the case.

Any ideas?

Comments

• the system is air bounded

The plumber may not be a true hydronic heating guy.. you generally don't need to drain the whole system for just replacing the powerhead.. what we all need is for you to post some pictures of your boiler and near pipings and we'll go from there.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    No Circulation

What attempts have been made to bleed air from the zone?

You may well be frozen, if you are, you need to find a long term solution. The best plan is to move and or insulate the pipes. Glycol would be a less desirable plan.

The plumber should be able to power purge the zone to be sure it is frozen. If it is, you need to find a way to heat that section of pipe.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Atype
    pictures

pics added
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Circ flanges

Are a red flag they have been leaking for some time.

How long was the house in foreclosure?

Was the system drained to get through winter with out freezing pipes?

Or was heat maintained through the winter during foreclosure?

If the pipes did freeze in the wall be aware if it gets up and running for leaks. I would assume "plumber verified system holds pressure? 12 psi

Like I say IF the pipes are frozen, and that IS the reason there is no flow to second floor you may encounter system not holding fill pressure, and water damage from leaks in the wall. Just beware of those things.

It sounds like its air bound, but wondering if system worked before. Something you may never know. Unlikely it did not.
  • Atype
    forclosure

The house was forclosed for two years

The house was properly winterized during that time. The utilities were turned on and house dewinterized when I got my home inspection.

Im hoping I dont have to open up the wall of the room I just finished renovating.

If its air bound wouldnt draining the system fix it?
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Air

Air sure seems like the likely problem. The way the boiler is piped with the circulator pumping into the expansion tank makes the air harder to get rid of.

I looks like you have the appropriate valves and drains you need to power purge using the fill valve.I think I would do some more research and find a good heating contractor. This should be an easy one to fix.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Atype
    purging

Is power purging something I can do on my own? Is there instructions around on how to do so? Thanks
This discussion has been closed.