Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

American Standard boiler water flow direction

JamesT
JamesT Member Posts: 7
Hi,

I have a forced hot water America Standardl 1BSE J1 with a Taco 007 pump located on the bottom left ( facing boiler) which is pumping water upthe line instead of into the bottom of the boiler. I always thought this was a return line.Which way should the water flow?

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    A picture would help so

we give you the correct information.
  • JamesT
    edited November 2013
    Pics of system

Ok Tim, Here you go. This is circa 1970 unit that has been down for 5+ yrs. The pipe above the circulator is cut...i removed a frozen shutoff valve. The arrow on the green Taco pump is pointing up.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    The arrow would be pointing in the direction of flow

so the best I can tell from the picture it is on the supply side of the boiler. Is there other piping returning to the boiler?
  • JamesT
    Pic of lines

On the top of the boiler there are 2 lines going in: the return line and a cold water feed line. (both marked with the arrows). The expansion tank is located on the return line also.
  • JamesT
    Adding a vent

I'm also going to add a vent to aid in bleeding the system. What ype and location do you recommend?
  • since

Since the boiler is disconneted.. might as well repipe it correctly with the pump on the supply side,
  • JamesT
    By re-pipe

you mean turn the pump around? I was taught that cooler water, the return line, was pumped into the bottom of the boiler and the Hot water supply emanated from the top. This is so the pump wasn't subjected to super hot water and therefore damaging and/or reducing the life of the pump.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    edited November 2013
    Moving the pump to the boiler output

was the suggestion.  Turning it around in its current location was not implied.

The current arrangement is a good match for the minimal head loss and fixed high temperatures of a cast iron boiler.  There are also applications of certain mod/cons where pumping into the boiler is advisable.

Pumping away from the expansion tank is the critical part.
  • JamesT
    Still not sure...

Should the water flow be coming from top of boiler and out the bottom or from the bottom and out of the top? Is the Taco pump in the correct location?
  • JamesT
    bump

Bumping ......anyone familiar with the proper layout of this older system?
This discussion has been closed.