Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

does new boiler need combustion analysis?

Nom_Deplume
Nom_Deplume Member Posts: 91
Homeowner here. We're getting an HTP Elite FT.  I'm doing my homework in preparation for the install.

The install manual (which i read online) says "If for any reason the throttle needs to be adjusted...use a combustion analyzer..." How strongly do I need to insist that the installers do a combustion analysis as a part of installation?

I know from reading old posts that it is conventional wisdom to do a comb anal when installing, but don't modern boilers come properly adjusted? If not, why don't the install manuals tell installers to do it?

Comments

• Aaron_in_Maine
    Aaron_in_Maine Member Posts: 315
    Yes

Yes it needs to be checked. If your installer doesn't have an analyzer he shouldn't be installing it.
    Aaron Hamilton Heating
    ahheating@ yahoo.com
    (207)229-7717
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Combustion

The manufacturer does require that the system be fine tuned with an analyzer. If you're not sure, call the manufacturer. Then ask what happens to their warranty if their directions aren't followed. If an installer doesn't have an analyzer and doesn't know exactly how to use it in order to fully understand how SAFE your boiler is, then what else are they not doing? What else is potentially unsafe?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,162
    They absolutely

need to be fine tuned after installation.  Yes, they will be close right out of the box -- close enough so they will start and run.  But every installation is slightly different, and you have to adjust them for best reliable performance -- and the only way to do that is with a combustion analyser, properly used.  No excuses.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Analyzer is an absolute necessity

Jamie,

As usual, we're in agreement. Anyone who doesn't have an analyzer and who is not trained to use it, has no business installing a mod/con.

I will have to disagree about it running right out of the box, though. I've had more than one that were so far out of adjustment that they would not fire out of the box.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Yorkietom
    Yorkietom Member Posts: 7
    testing

As I was taught years ago, if you're  not testing you're guessing ! Definately test and most states its code.

Tom 
  • Nom_Deplume
    Nom_Deplume Member Posts: 91
    thanks!

Thanks for the advice! Boiler was combustion tested and was good out of the box (I have a report with the readings).
This discussion has been closed.