Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler Help

Eaton
Eaton Member Posts: 1
Hello everyone,

I'm new to hydronic heating. Just bought my first house and trying to figure out my gas fired boiler.  I'm replacing

- Fast fill valve ( its leaking )

- Expansion tank ( full of water )

- Air scoop (figured I'd do that too)

- 1 of (3) Taco Zones ( will not open unless done manually )

I am capable of repairing but what I would like to know if everything is in the right place. Why replace parts if its not placed the correct way? I've read to many opinions with everyone piping things differently. Heres a few pics. If someone could tell me if my expansion tank / circulator / and air scoop are in the right areas it would be GREATLY appreciated.

ALSO, is it normal for a circulator pump to run continusouly. Even when the boiler is not on. My system is a 3 zone.

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    piping

Your piping layout looks OK. Unless ugly is a crime.

Your circulator should run when there is a call for heat and a zone valve is open. It is normal for it to run when the boiler is cycling,
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    edited August 2013
    You

may want to invest in a better quality air eliminator like a Caleffi or Taco .  I would configure the Air eliminator where it is , make up water entering below it into the bottom port and Expansion tank below that , and place the circ to the system side of those items .  You may also think about moving the zone valves to the supply side , this will eliminate any migration into zones not calling .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • MikeL_2
    MikeL_2 Member Posts: 486
    improvements

The expansion tank should never be installed upside down, and moving it and the fill valve as Rich has suggested will improve your systems performance. I would also relocate the circulator to pump away from the expansion tank.
This discussion has been closed.