Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

277 Volt Circulator pump

I just had a customer call and ask me for a 277 volt circulator pump . Single phase , will 230v work or not? I am thinking that if the building has 277 volt/1/60 it can utilize a 480/3/60 pump perhaps . Would appreciate any help here.

Prisco

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    230V...

Won't work. It will fry the windings.

You can probably get the motor, but it may take a little time. What size are we talking about? Can you give the specifics?

You could probably find a 120V or 208V source somewhere nearby in the building. Or use a step down transformer in a worst case scenario.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • pipeking
    pipeking Member Posts: 252
    I DON'T

THINK 230 WILL WORK ON 277 CUZ 277 IS LINE VOLTAGE. THE DIFFERANCE IS THAT 277 IS 1 SINGLE HOT LEAD AT 277V, AND 230 IS 277 STEPPED DOWN TO 220-240V (230 ALL THE SAME) WITH TO HOT LEADS AT 110-120V. SO A 277 MOTOR WILL HAVE A HOT/NEUTRAL, AND A 230 MOTOR WILL HAVE HOT/HOT/NEUTRAL-GROUND.
  • pipeking
    SORRY 4 THE CAPS, AND

if u tried to use a 480/3/60 with only 1 phase it will overheat, nodoubt. why does it have to be 277v? is the pump that he has now is 277v?
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    277V single phase

only exists in a 480 Wye system, so there is 480/3ø in the building someplace.  It's hard to find 480/3ø motors smaller than half a horsepower so as Ironman pointed out, it really depends on the pump.

ECMs are typically limited to 250V supplies, which is unfortunate since they could quite easily be designed to run on 90-300V, making them applicable to pretty much any AC power system on the planet.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    Transformer?

Assuming it's a reasonable sized pump you could pick up a transformer to convert that 277 down to 120 and use a standard pump. Just make sure the transformer is big enough for the wattage you need.

Transformers are not cheap but probably not much more than a 277v pump.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    No such thing.

I think your original thought is correct 480/3/60 is what you need. 277 is the voltage of one leg of a 480 3 phase just as 120v is one leg a 208v 3 phase (think cubed root). I don't believe the product he suggested exists. I have seen systems with  480/3/60 in both wet rotor and 3 piece floor models.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • pipeking
    prico

what did u do?
This discussion has been closed.