Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Spark Ignition

Johnnyboy
Johnnyboy Member Posts: 6
I have have an old furnace with intermittnent spark ignition.No inducer fan.When there is a call for heat the spark lights the pilot and the the main burners light and after a few seconds the burners shut down.Sometimes it takes three or four attempts to stay lit and then the heat cycle continues normally.Sometimes the spark process goes three or four times and doesn't lite at all.And sometime after the burners lite and the blower motor is on the spark will continue.Help.

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    The pilot may need cleaned and the

sensor rod cleaned with a piece of soft clean emory cloth.

Are you a technician? The reason I ask is so I can know what direction to have you go next.
  • Johnnyboy
    Spark ignition

I have technical school Training for HVAC.
  • Johnnyboy
    Spark ignition

I have technical school Training for HVAC.
  • Johnnyboy
    sparkm ignition

doen't have a flame sensor rod.
  • Johnnyboy
    Answers in an hour?

Can anybody help me with my Intermitent spark ignition problem?
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    Give a list of the control numbers

seeing as there is no flame rod then all the spark does is light the pilot (pilot relight) the flame has to prove some other way.
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Jonnyboy be patient

You want super quick answers but are not giving enough information.  Your fortunate Tim is taking the time to help you.  Listen, then you can get to the bottom of the problem.  Take a picture if you can.  It does sound like a pilot re lite, but what brings on the gas valve???

Mike T.
  • Johnnyboy
    Problem solved

I changed the pilot assy and now the furnace works properly.Apparently the pilot flame bridges the gap between the electrode and ground.Thats how the flame is proved.The old pilot assy was not set properly.Thanks anyway.
This discussion has been closed.