Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Running gas boiler without electricity.

Options
Rob_40
Rob_40 Member Posts: 55
Well, with everyone freaking about tropical storm, Sandy, I am reminded about a year ago to the day, that an ice storm in NJ had the electricity off for almost a week.   I had my old gas converted coal boiler last year, and figured out how to run it without electricity.  (There was a little switch that I turned to "Manual" disabling the thermostat.)  Now with my new Burnham atmospheric,  I am wondering if operating the boiler without the electricity is possible.  I wouldn't mind being able to turn it on and then off once the house warmed up before leaving the basement.   Has anybody attempt this?  I will have to find a way to open the flue damper.

Rob

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Not Gonna Happen

The new boiler has electronic controls that require power; the old boiler must have had millivolt controls that were powered by the thermocouple.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    Generator

I bought my generator about 5 years ago, with the idea that we were overdue for an ice storm, that could knock the power out for several days, or more. It didn't, and yours wouldn't need to run the whole house at once, but it needs to be able to run your largest necessary appliance. You can alternate between the boiler, water heater, and fridge. The price of a generator sized like that , is cheap insurance.
  • fixitguy
    fixitguy Member Posts: 91
    Options
    Millivolt Rocks!

Ahhh, Rip off all that junk and convert it to millivolt. Money well spent. We got heat!
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,246
    Options
    i second that

Millivolt Rocks!

Ahhh, Rip off all that junk and convert it to millivolt. Money well spent. We got heat!

Yesss there's nothing like heat during a cold dark night
This discussion has been closed.