Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiant

Sam81
Sam81 Member Posts: 37
Dos anyone know if there is a way to make work 600' 1/2 pex loops for floor warmers only?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    600?

I am assuming someone already installed this and you are just trying to make it work? If not you should do (3) 200' loops and a manifold.

To pump just 1 gpm through 600' of pex you need 24 feet of circulator head. 1.5 gallons will take 48'. With (3) 200' loops you could pump 3 gpm (1gpm per loop) and only need 8 feet of circulator head. The problem is even once you get the water through, depending on the installation (staple up, slab) there will be no heat left in the tube. This will result in noticeable hot and cold spots.

I am not sure what you mean by "you are just trying to warm the floor". By the time you get the floor noticeably warm (80 degrees or more) you are heating the house.

More details?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Sam81
    Sam81 Member Posts: 37
    Radiat

U guess was right I'm trying to make it work, its installed in slab, the original plumber sposetly followed an engineering, but so far it's not working, and the radiant was done as 1st stage and forced air as 2nd stage, being that the building is not acupied during the week only on weekends and when the building is acupied ther is to many people so the second stage isn't needed only to bring up the temp until its acupied, and then the radiant should be used for floor warmers only
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Best of luck

I would put a fairly large pump on it and give it a shot. Dan Holohan has a method of reversing the pump flow direction on a timer in order to even out the system temps. It involves a motorized 4 way mixing valve. I think it is on the wall somewhere.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Here's a link to the thread

Also,

Check out Siggy's article from the link in the thread.

http://www.heatinghelp.com/forum-thread/139838/4-Way-Reversing-Valve-Trick#p1255720
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
This discussion has been closed.