Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Honeywell Aquastat - how to remove from tank?

Options
So...someone installed the Aquastat to my 500 gallon storage tank in a narrow space alongside a wall. Since the stat is facing the wall, I can't read the settings...so changing/checking the setpoint is a pain. I know that there must be a well or coil attached to the Aquastat. I want to be able to temporarily remove the Aquastat to check the settings (setpoint and differential) and then put it back. I was tempted to yank on the Aquastat to pull it out of the tank...but I don't want to break it...or something else! I used my cosmetic mirror for now to check the setting :) but I'd really like a less girlie solution (for the future).

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    Send a picture

of your setup, sometimes the aquastat can be removed and a remote sensing bulb style installed, something off the top of my head like a Honeywell 6008 aquastat control.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    Wow!!!

did you say 500 gallon tank? Is it in a commercial or public building? That might determine what control you will need, and maybe more than one. Is it a direct fired, indirect, storage tank?
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    I'd stick with the mirror

How often do you have to check/adjust it? That's got to be easer then disconnecting just to check.
    steve
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    I'm

betting she meant 50 gallon... I hope....
  • BoilerGirlie
    BoilerGirlie Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2012
    Options

It is 500 gallons...its a commercial building.  I have 3 condensing boilers for heating and dhw.  I have plate in frame heat exchangers piped  to the DHW storage tank.  I I was curious if I could just remove the Aquastat, like if it were a probe type...Almost like removing a thermometer from the pipe.  But its hard to tell...and reach!  I guess I can stick with the mirror, as once its set, I am planning to leave it alone...was just curious for my own knowledge if those Aquastats are easily removable.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    They are typically

easy to remove and the capillary bulb/capillary tube are very pliable.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    setpoint controller

I had a similar problem recently. I used a tekmar 150 setpoint control. You can mount it wherever you want and stick the sensor in the well. I works slick.You can also set the differential to get the boiler cycles dialed in.

Oh, a lot of these have a little set screw on the side of the well you need to loosen to remove the controller.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
This discussion has been closed.