Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Honeywell V8204 buzzing?

ChrisJ
ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
So I finally finished the new boiler installation and woke up this morning and all seemed well.  A few minutes later I opened the basement door and heard a strange buzzing so I went down and the v8204 gas valve was buzzing while the system was running.  Tapping on it changed the sound slightly but wouldn't stop it so I hit turned the system off.  A few seconds later I turned it back on and all is silent.

My only assumption is,  I changed the t-stat temperature slightly.  My t-stat is an old mercury style round Honeywell.  If the mercury bounced slightly and interupted power for a split second could it have caused this?

The V8204 is for an EI system if it matters.
Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment

Comments

• ChrisJ
    VR8204

Sorry its a VR8204.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    RE

Can you describe the buzzing?

May be caused by a bad flame-sensor reading, or loose electrical connections. Or, it may just be a faulty valve.
  • ChrisJ
    The buzzing

Hmm. I would say its higher than 60Hz maybe 100Hz-120Hz or so give or take? It sounds very squarewave like, like an electronic buzzer if that helps. The buzzing is 100% definitely coming from the gas valve it self although the tone is a lot like the sound the electronic ignition makes, same tone.

Wouldn't a bad flame-sensor reading cause it to shut down?
  • JStar
    RE

It should. I've seen weak thermocouples cause buzzing, so I always check any kind of flame sensor in this scenario. You may also have slightly pitted relay contacts that will deliver 24 volts, but lower amperage. I hate the idea of blindly changing parts. The more testing, the more we learn.
  • ChrisJ
    new

Keep in mind I just turned this thing on for the first time last night. Not sure what relay you are talking about though?

The thermostat has a mercury switch so no relay there and I would assume the EI controller is all solid state, no?
  • JStar
    edited November 2011
    RE

This is steam? I just assumed it was hot water. Don't ask me why.

Then, I would look for any excess resistance in the control circuit, including the thermostat.
  • ChrisJ
    Oh

I'm sorry I am so used to posting in the steam section I forget to mention.

Yes its a steam system. I'll start checking the thermostat and its wiring out and then move onto the LWCO and pressuretrol.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    edited November 2011
    Many times when a

gas valve is first fired up after sitting on a piece of equipment in a warehouse for who knows how long they will make a noise as the valve needs to be exercised a few times just to get it humming (pun intended) but quietly. Is it still doing this? If not it is probably okay. If this is an electric ignition system with a spark ignited pilot then power to the PV (Pilot Valve) is the first valve to be powered and it is typically a solenoid valve (you will hear it click when opening). This is usually more likely to hum or make a noise, if it continues check the voltage coming out of PV on the module and make sure it is between 21 to 26 volts if lower or higher make sure you have the correct transformer and that it is not overloaded with amperage demand,
  • ChrisJ
    ok

Thanks for the response Tim.

I ran the system last night to mess with radiator vents among other issues I'm having and never heard a sound from the gas valve other than normal operation when turning on and off.  I'll check voltages tonight when I go home to make sure they are within spec.
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Two tests

Check the voltage on start-up and then running volts.
  • ChrisJ
    Update

You know I hate it when people never update a thread like this and now I'm that person.

Third heating season and the gas valve has never made a sound that I've noticed since that morning way back in 2011.

Thank you you all for responding!
This discussion has been closed.