Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Most/least reliable gas boiler

Bill H.
Bill H. Member Posts: 30
What make/model boiler seems to be the most reliable? Least reliable? Please assume installation is correct, and a non-condensing unit to be used with slant fin baseboard emitters. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    What do you have now?

Before determining what boiler have you had a heat loss done. Is the house well insulated, new windows etc.

If you are looking at a non-condensing boiler what efficiency level do you want to reach? Most non condensing are in the mid 80% level. The American boilers such as Burnham and others are all good choices.

Most of the folks here who install will chime in and give you their experiences hopefully.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    Bill they all have good days and bad

What is stocked and sold in your area? It is more about the installation and the availability of parts than it is the boiler. I install most major brands as long as they are sold and stocked where I am installing the boiler. Weil Mclain is my go to boiler as they are sold everywhere and the parts are readily available. 
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,761
    Buderus

I like Buderus boilers , Well constructed and they use stainless tube burners ... Install with the outdoor rest for additional savings and home comfort .. They use Honeywell gas valves and controls on their non condensing models ..
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    edited March 2011
    Raypak

Raypak residential is an excellent residential package with a built in bypass and no maintnance pump. We have been installing them since they came out. We have had issues on perhaps three in the past decade and half. We always install them P/S. On some installations we use a Tekmar control for outdoor reset,if the client is willing to pay. Remember is not the boiler efficiency that matters as much as system efficiency. We get 10 to 20% savings using this boiler (Properly sized) and installed P/S.

Henry
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Trick Question

All are cast iron. All genrally have the same controls. It's not the arrow that should be in question but the indian that installs it. The installer dictates the reliability. How it is installed and how it is sized are crucial to its longevity.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
This discussion has been closed.