Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

A tale of two tapes...

Attached find two sets of combustion analysis and a drawing of what we saw when we got there, and what we did to correct the spillage that was occurring in the mechanical room. The whole system is slated for a complete replacement and rebuild including getting rid of the gas fired tank water heater, the three ancient Hydrotherm boilers, with modcons and reverse indirects, so they wanted to do the minimum necessary to get by. We had spillage from the DHW heaters relief vent, and placed barometrics on each boiler and water heater to eliminate the spillage. It works satisfactorily now.

It required a meeting with the city officials before they would allow the installation. That won't be necessary in the future. In fact, the inspector wanted to know why they even pulled a permit, and said he's have just done it and moved on....

Comments?

ME
It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.

Comments

• rlaggren
    rlaggren Member Posts: 160
    Permits look a no brainer

Can't see any responsible way to leave "unusual" changes that almost certainly conflict with the installation instructions w/out some kind of approval. Regardless of test results. The inspector isn't standing at the bottom of the liability chute all by himself - like you are.

Your scans of the analysis scripts are only partially readable on my machine. Might scan better if you ampped up the contrast when you scanned it, maybe scan real light stuff like that as "line art".

Rufus
    disclaimer - I'm a plumber, not a heating pro.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Yeah.. bad scans...

I will repost tomorrow in a spread sheet form and save everyones eyes.

Sorry,

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Yeah.. bad scans...

I will repost tomorrow in a spread sheet form and save everyones eyes.

Sorry,

ME
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    Mark I can't read the results but

I am having trouble with my eyes from the "shingles" they say my sight will come back but right now everything is sort of blur.

I have found by the way that large installs often work much better when draft hoods are eliminated and barometrics installed. This compared to small residentail changes which some times are hard to do as the draft hoods are built into the appliances. This is especially true on some forced warm air applications.

I find it interesting that you have the officials on your side with the changes. I do however find myself that if I involve them ahead of time they are more receptive.

I look forward to seeing a little clearer picture of your results.
  • Mark Eatherton
    edited December 2010
    Per the drawings... (Water heater)

Pre

o2 =7.9

co = 19 ppm

co2 = 7.3

t stack = 287 deg f

t room = 89.5

exair = 54.1%

afco = 30

Draft = 0" W.C.

Water heater had to be forced to fire (raised aquastat)

O2 = 7.5

co = 28 ppm

co2 = 7.6 pct

stack t = 279 deg f

amb t = 74 "

ex air = 49.8

afco = 44 ppm

Draft = -.04 " WC

Water heater was under a real time load. Hood spillage at DHW tank was completely eliminated.

ME
  • Mark Eatherton
    edited December 2010
    Boiler 1

Pre

O2 = 8.8

co = 12 ppm

co2 = 6.8

stack t = 442

amb t = 83.6

ex air = 39.2

afco = 73

O2 = 11.5

co = 26

co2 = 5.3

Stack t 497

amb t = 75

ex air = 109

afco = 58

We did not pull the burners nor brush the tubes. Just applied the barometric dampers to control the spillage. System is slated for replacement soon.

ME
  • Mark Eatherton
    Boiler 2

PRe

02 = 6.4

co = 51

co2 = 8.2

stack t = 466

amb t = 85.4

ex air = 39

afco = 73

o2 = 11.7

co = 31

co2 = 5.2

stack t = 504

amb t = 76

ex air = 113

afco = 70
  • Mark Eatherton
    boiler 3

Pre

o2 - 7.2

co = 78

co2 7.7 stack t = 457

amb t = 87

ex air - 47

afco = 118

o2 = 13.2

co = 33

co2 = 4.3

stack t = 519

amb t = 77

ex air = 153

afco = 80

Again, nothing other than applying barometric dampers. In the off chance that this property doesn't get awarded a grant, I would clean the passage ways and the burners, install chokes in the flue of the boilers, thereby bringing the o2 down and co2 up (flame efficiency) and throw some tekmar at it.

ME
  • Mark Eatherton
    Sorry Tim...

Gotta take care of those eyes. Sorry you had to cancel your classes as well. If I were in your neighborhood, I'd have come and substituted for you. Although there is no substitute for you :-)

Get well soon my friend.

ME
This discussion has been closed.