Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Figuring fitting EL on gas line.

jrc2905
jrc2905 Member Posts: 98
<span style="font-size:12pt">I have been looking for a definitive answer on the proper procedure to add line length calculation based on the number of fittings on the gas line. I have looked everywhere to no avail. Some say add 5 feet per fitting and others say base it on 1.5 ratio, what ever that means.</span>

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Two methods...

And I think the equivalent length of fittings for natural gas is different than it is for water, (3 foot per versus 5 foot for water ?) but in any case, you can add up the fittings, and get a pipe length equivalent, or just add 50% to the measured developed length, hence the 1.5 factor. That method (1.5) usually ends up over killing the calculations, but better over than under in the engineering world. :-)

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    Get a hold of

NFPA 54/ANSI Z223.1 National Fuel Gas Code there is an entire section on the three methods of determining pipe size and Table C I believe gives equivalent lengths for fittings.

If you have problem finding that code e-mail me at gastc@cox.net and I will send you a copy of table C.

I also have a complete section in one of my manuals on pipe sizing.
This discussion has been closed.