Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Figuring fitting EL on gas line.

jrc2905jrc2905 Posts: 98Member
<span style="font-size:12pt">I have been looking for a definitive answer on the proper procedure to add line length calculation based on the number of fittings on the gas line. I have looked everywhere to no avail. Some say add 5 feet per fitting and others say base it on 1.5 ratio, what ever that means.</span>

Comments

• Mark EathertonMark Eatherton Posts: 5,843Member
    Two methods...

And I think the equivalent length of fittings for natural gas is different than it is for water, (3 foot per versus 5 foot for water ?) but in any case, you can add up the fittings, and get a pipe length equivalent, or just add 50% to the measured developed length, hence the 1.5 factor. That method (1.5) usually ends up over killing the calculations, but better over than under in the engineering world. :-)

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • Tim McElwainTim McElwain Posts: 4,279Member
    Get a hold of

NFPA 54/ANSI Z223.1 National Fuel Gas Code there is an entire section on the three methods of determining pipe size and Table C I believe gives equivalent lengths for fittings.

If you have problem finding that code e-mail me at [email protected] and I will send you a copy of table C.

I also have a complete section in one of my manuals on pipe sizing.
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!