Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Suspended Gas Unit Heaters (OT)

Options
I have a customer that wants to heat her art studio.  She has 25' ceilings and wants a ceiling mounted unit heater.  I've seen them many times, sometimes their fans are very noisy.  Does anyone know of a manufacturer that has a quiet one?
8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,625
    Options
    Alan, most of the

ones I have seen are noisy because the blower is out in the open space. How about a duct heater which can be suspended.
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Look at

a Rinnai Energysaver. Look at a Fujitsu mini-split heat pump. Where is the job? Again, my bias is noted as I represent both companies, but both are excellent solutions 
  • Zxv
    Zxv Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Low intensity radiant heater

You might consider radiant tube heaters. They put out beautiful heat and are virtually silent and work very well in high ceiling situations like you have there. Check Space Ray Co. There are several manufacturers, I looked at them on www.spaceray.com. Clearance from combustibles would be the most important consideration with these units. I have used them from garages to Church halls with success.
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    Heating

Thanks, Tim.  The noise problem was definitely an issue for me, but I went to Reznor's website and checked out the spec's. on model UDAP and was surprised to find sound data and that the fans have been re-engineered for noise.  Forty-seven decibels at 15 feet which is less than normal conversation (60 decibels). 

A ducted heater would work well, but I don't do that kind of work and I want the job. 

I'll check out Rinnai and Fujitsu.  This studio has no outside walls, so we can't direct vent.

The infrared heaters would be perfect (no noise) except that even though they are vented, they still produce some CO and the studio is an enclosed space.

Thanks, everyone for your help.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Vent extensions

You can run vent extensions on the Rinnai's. Max rise of 8' (ideal for basements), total of two additional 90's, max total run of 13', so you could run the 13' horiz. to reach the outside wall. They are in various kits depending upon length. One key to lay-out is your outside termination height. Start from the outside and work in. grade from the heater down to the outside.

Go to www.rinnai.us Then select customer service and DV and the install manuals are there. Check it out and post your questions. One of the good thinks about the heaters is the vent arm will pivot up so you can gain height behind the vestibule enclosure to give the most termination clearance. What do you think the load is?
This discussion has been closed.