Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

BPI CO Best Practices Standards

I think this needs additional work and appreciate anyones input into this document.

Many thanks to the folks at carbonmonoxidekills.org for allowing us to use it.

ME
It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.

Comments

• MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    Standards

Hey Mark, I was wondering if you could clear this up for me, maybe im not reading it right , but under the heading "Standards for Action Levels"  the last sentence reads "The action levels are considered net indoor ambient readings, i.e. -indoor ambient minus outdoor ambient readings" So for example if we have a indoor ambient reading in a house of 15 ppm, and we were able to get a reading of 9 ppm in the outside air (before we enter the house) the reading we log down  for our indoor reading would be 6 ppm ambient, which would be a Normal reading for indoor ambient and would require "No Action"  Thanks again Mark
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    That is the way I read it Mike...

And to be sure, I would write the OSA ambient down for reference, and do the math right there on the paper so there is no confusion.

BTW, the highest ambient CO I have seen here in the Denver Basin, which is notorious for bad air inversions is 2 ppm.

I confirmed this thru the Colorado Dept. of Health web site. 1.9 ppm is the max seen last year.

If you were sampling down stream of a major CO producer (steel mill, coke factory) I suppose you could see higher than that tho...

Food for thought.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    DO NOT I REPEAT

DO NOT set your outdoor ambient up near the exhaust from your service van or truck. Do not laugh it happens.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Good point....

What ever happened to common sense?

Funny thing. I inadvertently tested my personal CO detector the other day. Had it on my belt, back the Cherokee up to the house to start loading tools for a job, when suddenly, my rattler started rattling. What the? looked down and it was at 40 ppm. Set to begin buzzing at 35 ppm. Guess it works OKay!

ME
  • MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    edited March 2010
    Standards

Great points Tim & Mark, I learn alot from you guys, thanks again for taking the time. Also under Best Practices for Domestic HW Tank CO Testing Draft Testing, they mention normal draft is between .01"WC & .02"WC, should this be written as a negative reading (-) ?
  • Mark Eatherton
    Affirmative....

it is supposed to be listed as a NEGATIVE. (-). If it is positive, you have a "situation" on your hands.

ME
This discussion has been closed.