Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need 2 boilers?

Options
Timco
Timco Member Posts: 3,040
I am finally re-piping the boiler I posted a while back. Question is can the main new boiler be made to make the hot water as well? There is a small Bryant steamer that makes the DHW through a small HX. Can I axe that small unit and use the big dog to heat and make the DHW with steam or do I need to pull hot water from the steamer and use that for the domestic? I will worry about sizes after I figure out how to do this. Small Bryant needs attention as it has a real hard start and I would like to get rid of it before considering replacing it.

Tim
Just a guy running some pipes.

Comments

• eComfortUSA
    eComfortUSA Member Posts: 11
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Need 2 boilers

Hello.

Some of the manufactures makes steam boilers with tankless water heaters, they are have to be special order res. I did include file for Weil McLain EGH Steam Boiler with build-in tankless heater option, look on page 18.

Victor
    eComfortUSA
  • Timco
    Options
    GB300

The Smith GB300 stays, and is being re-piped to add a hartford loop and a real header. More on that later...

Tim
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    hot water from steam boiler

does the smith have enough reserve capacity, beyond the needs of the radiators and piping for making hot water? a hotel probably has larger hot water needs than say an apartment building-especially if they have a restaurant, and do their own linen washing.

is the dhw boiler completely shot? i would do some  calculations of hot water consumption, before removing it. it could be junked later when you know it is not needed. i would think there could be some advantages in keeping dhw production separate from heating in a heavy use situation. so just "slide it out of the way" until you are certain it won't be needed!--nbc
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    copper fin tube to the rescue

Why not use one of the fin tube units inplace of the bryant? Size it to the load and be done with it. I am talk something like an A.O. Smith water heater. with an insulated storage tank.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Timco
    Options
    Smith boiler

The Smith unit is 11 sections and likely way bigger than needed. 40 units, 3-4 rads per unit. Already sitting there, owner wants to use it, period.As for the DHW, I left the printout on site but it was firing at 1500+ppm CO. I clean it today, vent and all, and pour the pad for the Smith unit.  I LOVE this job! The other building has an Ajax boiler that is high pressure, no HX.

Tim
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    how new is the smith?

I was thinking if it is way to big can you remove a section or 2 and bring it down to size? the shorter manifold could be purchased from smith. Just a thought. or do as the old timers did and remove and plug an orfice or 2. I have seen some way over sized units where 4 orfices were removed and plugged so the boiler the engineer speced did not steam the building into outer space. The 30% rule gets used a lot.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
This discussion has been closed.