Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need 2 boilers?

Timco
Timco Member Posts: 3,040
I am finally re-piping the boiler I posted a while back. Question is can the main new boiler be made to make the hot water as well? There is a small Bryant steamer that makes the DHW through a small HX. Can I axe that small unit and use the big dog to heat and make the DHW with steam or do I need to pull hot water from the steamer and use that for the domestic? I will worry about sizes after I figure out how to do this. Small Bryant needs attention as it has a real hard start and I would like to get rid of it before considering replacing it.

Tim
Just a guy running some pipes.

Comments

• eComfortUSA
    eComfortUSA Member Posts: 11
    edited September 2009
    Need 2 boilers

Hello.

Some of the manufactures makes steam boilers with tankless water heaters, they are have to be special order res. I did include file for Weil McLain EGH Steam Boiler with build-in tankless heater option, look on page 18.

Victor
    eComfortUSA
  • Timco
    GB300

The Smith GB300 stays, and is being re-piped to add a hartford loop and a real header. More on that later...

Tim
  • hot water from steam boiler

does the smith have enough reserve capacity, beyond the needs of the radiators and piping for making hot water? a hotel probably has larger hot water needs than say an apartment building-especially if they have a restaurant, and do their own linen washing.

is the dhw boiler completely shot? i would do some  calculations of hot water consumption, before removing it. it could be junked later when you know it is not needed. i would think there could be some advantages in keeping dhw production separate from heating in a heavy use situation. so just "slide it out of the way" until you are certain it won't be needed!--nbc
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    copper fin tube to the rescue

Why not use one of the fin tube units inplace of the bryant? Size it to the load and be done with it. I am talk something like an A.O. Smith water heater. with an insulated storage tank.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Timco
    Smith boiler

The Smith unit is 11 sections and likely way bigger than needed. 40 units, 3-4 rads per unit. Already sitting there, owner wants to use it, period.As for the DHW, I left the printout on site but it was firing at 1500+ppm CO. I clean it today, vent and all, and pour the pad for the Smith unit.  I LOVE this job! The other building has an Ajax boiler that is high pressure, no HX.

Tim
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    how new is the smith?

I was thinking if it is way to big can you remove a section or 2 and bring it down to size? the shorter manifold could be purchased from smith. Just a thought. or do as the old timers did and remove and plug an orfice or 2. I have seen some way over sized units where 4 orfices were removed and plugged so the boiler the engineer speced did not steam the building into outer space. The 30% rule gets used a lot.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
This discussion has been closed.