Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

steam systems

michael_43
michael_43 Member Posts: 11
I'm replacing a large water volume fire tube boiler with a cast iron sectional boiler with less water content. It is a one pipe system and will be cost prohibitive to trap the ends of the mains and install a make up water tank. Any ideas?

Comments

• nugs
    nugs Member Posts: 77

need more info on what was what and what will be.

In the mean time take a look at Everhot's site under steam condensate tank. It is a tank that mounts on the steam outlet and gives you more room to make steam off the top of the boiler, It also has a separator that keeps wet steam from entering the main. Not sure if they make one big enough for your application though.
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Well,

How big are we talking here? That, and what is it heating ? C.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,276
    Seems to me...

that I'm guessing that your concern is that you'll generate a lot of steam and it will take time for the condensate to return, and in the meantime the water level will drop too low?

Just how big a system is this we're talking about here? In general unless it's a really really big system in terms of pipe and radiation volume, or your pressure is really high (I hope not!) the volume of steam required to completely fill the system is going to be so much less than the volume of water in the boiler -- even in one of the newer sectionals -- that you won't have a problem. Remember that steam occupies over 1,000 times the volume of water from which it is made!

Need more info...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • I agree with Jamie

If the boiler is sized to the connected load , there really should not be a need for any add ons ( like a condensate or reservoir tank ) . And if the header is sized and piped correct , there is no need for an external tank up there to lower the velocity of the steam .
This discussion has been closed.