Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
If our community has helped you, please consider making a contribution to support this website. Thanks!

mod con intake filter build

Options
hot_rod
hot_rod Posts: 28,434

Using a common K&N universal filter. No name knock-off of this filter for around 35 bucks. This model slips over a piece of 6" PVC thin walled PVC. I imagine you could find a 2" version.

The aluminum adapter plate just slips over the 2" intake PVC.

I want to keep woodworking dust out of the machine.

I doubt a manufacturer would approve this without some extended testing?

Screenshot 2026-10-10 at 4.03.26 PM.png Screenshot 2026-10-10 at 4.03.09 PM.png Screenshot 2026-10-10 at 4.03.03 PM.png Screenshot 2026-10-10 at 4.02.52 PM.png
Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream

Comments

  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Posts: 12,770

    I believe you are doing the testing yourself at this point. How often would you need to service/clean/replace the filter would be determined by the amount of dust collected by the filter.

    Edward Young Retired

    After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Posts: 28,434

    previous I pulled outside air into this boiler. It did have a number of bugs in the burner when I serviced it last year.

    just moved it across the shop, thought I would try inside air this time.

    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Posts: 12,770

    But why stop at such a small filter. Why not build something that is 28" x 28" x 24" that can hold 5 filters like this:

    image.png

    Edward Young Retired

    After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Posts: 28,434

    I could rent space to my neighbors on that filter rack

    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    EdTheHeaterManPC7060
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Posts: 1,965
    edited 12:34AM

    what drove the move? Always curious about people change thier shops; I envisions your as a hydronics experimentation lab.

  • pedmec
    pedmec Posts: 1,486

    Aerco Boilers use the KN's for their Benchmark boilers. Should work for yours

    hot_rod
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Posts: 2,832

    K&N filters are made for an oil spray on the filter media. That's where it gets its excellent filtering without a loss of air ingestion. Its washable and re-useable. Lifetime.

    As I recall the K&N has a greater filtering capacity, micron size particles, than a paper filter without compromising flow. In the long run it is cheaper than paper.

  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Posts: 28,434

    I replaced my boiler with an A2WHP, so the boiler moved to another location, but is piped for backup if needed.

    Yes I do have some wall space for testing hydronic ideas and components.

    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    PC7060