Pump Failure- Replacement or retrofit or repipe time?
Our 1978 utica boiler is still going strong but this last spring the 1/12 B&G 100 series pump died on me, completely locked up.
As a typical homeowner does, I've waited until the fall to replace it. We do have minisplits that provide heat in the mean time, so we're not without all heat.
The question now becomes, direct replacement? Something better? Opportunity for a repipe?
We've got 5 zones, here is the current setup:
I added in the Taco zone controllers and fuel smart hydrostat and the air scoop- all of which have been working great. My thought process is flipping the 100 series for something that can do constant pressure as I could audibly hear the pump straining when just a small zone was open (we have two 500 sq ft bedroom/bathrooms on their own zones).
We're not pumping away obviously, I've thought about just getting the cutter out and going to town, but…. "It worked".
It's all baseboard slantfin which my wife hates the look of. I wanted to just heat the floors (we have access to the underside) but with all that I'm hearing from flooring guys these days about wood floors after a few years of heated floors I'm leaning away. She wants to retrofit some new cast iron radiators (would fit with the theme of the house).
Opinions and input is welcome.
And yes, before someone says something the summer clutter around the boilier will be cleaned up when I do the yearly boiler cleaning, it won't be ran that way ;)
Comments
-
-
Ya, you certainly have your share of issues. The question is, is the heat output satisfactory, if so, what is your object and is it worth the trouble. If you can do the work, then, bring out the cutter. I would. But, to satisfy your Missus, you're talking about a major change. That's summer work not something you want to do in the winter.
You can think about what you are going to do and even if you wait until next summer to make the changes, you can start accumulating the parts that you are going to need, now, before the prices go up.
The B&G 100 has a flat curve which the Alpha doesn't and is great for ZVs. However, you might need the head that the Alpha provides. The 100 is kinda antiquated and an energy hog. You're the best judge of what to do if the 100 is failing. I would replace it with an Alpha.
0 -
You need to find out if the 100 motor is bad or the bearing assembly. Bearing assemblies need oil (the motor does as well). You might get it to free up until you decide what to do.
You could replace either the bearing assembly or the motor which (with B&G high prices) probably cost as much as a complete new circ.
1 -
Any of the ECM pumps that have delta P function would ba a good choice. The 15-58 Alpha has a zone valve setting. So it modulates flow based on zone valves opening and closing
You will pick up some efficiency on the electrical side and the system will not over pump when 1 or 2 zones are calling.
Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream0 -
Yeap, I think we're past the point of a complete boiler room re-pipe for the year. I keep putting off considering a boiler replacement but this one is more than twice the output I need- should probably just put a fancoil in the garage off it to lengthen the cycle times a little bit.
Heat is fine except in the main floor where we just don't have enough radiators when the temp is below zero. We have a plan for that.It's the bearing, I pulled the motor and it spins, the bearings are bad. Frustrating since I was hyper vigilant on the oiling of both, but that is what happens.
Thanks, I think I am going to just put a 15-58 alpha in. For the cost vs parts for the B&G seems like an ok move for now, I appreciate the input!!
0
Categories
- All Categories
- 87.8K THE MAIN WALL
- 3.3K A-C, Heat Pumps & Refrigeration
- 59 Biomass
- 430 Carbon Monoxide Awareness
- 133 Chimneys & Flues
- 2.2K Domestic Hot Water
- 6K Gas Heating
- 124 Geothermal
- 170 Indoor-Air Quality
- 3.9K Oil Heating
- 79 Pipe Deterioration
- 1.1K Plumbing
- 6.7K Radiant Heating
- 396 Solar
- 16.1K Strictly Steam
- 3.5K Thermostats and Controls
- 56 Water Quality
- 51 Industry Classes
- 51 Job Opportunities
- 18 Recall Announcements



