Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
If our community has helped you, please consider making a contribution to support this website. Thanks!

Pig Tails

Options

I took out the 0-30psi gauge that was installed with out a pig tail. I removed the gauge and intend to use this port for two gauges (put back the 0-30 and add a 0-3) tee'd off from a pig tail which would be screwed in first obviously into the boiler.

My issue is the pig tail does not clear the LWCO and I can not screw it directly into the boiler. Does the functionality of the gauges or the pig tail become diminished if I add a 6" nipple and coupling before the pig tail?

Thanks.

Comments

  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Posts: 12,750
    edited 7:41PM

    NO

    The reason for the pig tale is to create a water seal that will prevent raw steam (that is very hot) from coming into contact with the actual gauge mechanism. The pressure at one end of a 6" long pipe nipple is the same as it is at the other end of the 6" pipe nipple.

    Edward Young Retired

    After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?