Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

1-column old radiator

Art deco-looking rad was concealed in a 1950's plywood box. Anyone ever seen one of these? Kinda cool, so I'm gonna repurpose. Would it be a nightmare to re-tap or just leave as is? Planning to use black pipe stubs to connect to PEX in the wall.

Also note the cowboys & Indians wallpaper. Definitely not PC.

hot_roddelcrossv

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,230

They weren't that uncommon — anywhere you didn't want the radiator sticking out too far. Just use the existing spuds, unions and fittings to connect to your PEX. Piece of cake.

Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,750

Looks like a bleeder valve on top, but a return fitting (bottom) that appears to be a specialty steam trap‽

I have a dozen or so of that style in my school building, ±20' long, along the exterior wall. Controlled via pneumatic valves, we can get the classrooms pretty warm pretty fast!

• SomeTradesJack
    SomeTradesJack Member Posts: 22

Yes, the bleeder is top center. But it's a hot water system. Plumbing was rerouted during some kind of remodel. Original holes still in floor. There are at least 6 different styles of radiators in this house, including this unsightly number, since donated to the scrap man. Note the custom support. This one was plumbed in an outside wall, on a corner. Thinking the original froze, hence the 1940s replacement. Showed this pic a while back, but now I'm actually doing something about it. 😅

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,454

I like the receptacle half in the convector cabinet. Cast iron and a convector on the same zone won't balance well. The wall hung radiators were very common, more so in commercial than residential. very common to see acres of them hung on walls to heat large spaces like factories or warehouses or gyms.

delcrossv