Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam radiator valve in tight spot

gregrusu
gregrusu Member Posts: 2

Hello all, how did they tighten the union on this valve? Chain wrench? My pipe wrenches aren't even close to fitting.

(By the way, thank you all here for questions and guidance — it helped me over the past 5+ years to get the single pipe steam system in my 1914 fixer-upper running so that temp difference from ground floor to attic is less than 1 degree in all heated rooms with pressure running at just 1.5 psi.)

ethicalpaul

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,771
    edited October 18

OUCH!

There needs to be a union somewhere under the floor. Is there a basement or crawlspace under that floor?

What do you think

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

ethicalpaul
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,230

Actually you might be onto something. Since the union nut doesn't have to be all that tight — half a turn after hand tight is ample — a chain or strap wrench just might work!

To get it on. To get it off after a decade or two or three… um… well…

Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • gregrusu
    gregrusu Member Posts: 2

Thank you both - I got a locking chain wrench and that didn't do much, likely on account of all those decades. So I got a 24" chain wrench instead and that works, just a little bit at a time, but works !!! Now, the union under the floor? I'll need to undo some "dusty" insulation and get back to you on that ;-)

• delcrossv
    delcrossv Member Posts: 965

Looks like those pipes are wrapped in asbestos. Leave them be.

Asbestos removal is best left to pros.

Trying to squeeze the best out of a Weil-McLain JB-5 running a 1912 1 pipe system.