Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How To Log Run Times of Multi Zone Boiler System

dardo
dardo Member Posts: 8

I have a boiler system with 4 zones. I would like to have a better understanding of how often the boiler and each zone is running and for how long. I could have a current transformer on each circulation pump and use an app like Emporia Energy to log the power consumption of each. However, this does not provide enough detailed data for my needs. This question has come up somewhat frequently on this and other forums in the past- Seems like there should be something that is a little more user friendly than Raspberry Pi or Ardueno for those of us who are not programers. Has anyone come up with a way to do this that is not overly difficult? Or even some type of coding for this specific application?

I appreciate any suggestions….

Dard

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,183

Buy 4 cheap 5 to 277 volt hour meters (try Amazon) and wire one to each pump… put another one on the boiler to record that…

Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 5,125
    edited October 16

current Tranducers

Run Signal

there’s several ways.
    simple easy way is record return water temp

• dardo
    dardo Member Posts: 8

I should have included that I already have hour meters on each pump but I would like to know how often multiple zones are running at the same time and for how long.

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,183

That is a completely different problem. What you need is an event recorder. Commercial ones are available — but a custom program on a Raspberry Pi or Arduino is going to be a lot less expensive.

Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England