Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Beckett furnace orange flakes

cwetzel1
cwetzel1 Member Posts: 1
edited October 15 in Oil Heating

Furnace has has orange oily flakes for many years. I have pointed it out to my service providers and no concern was raised. My provider recently sold the business and I just had routine maintenance done with a new provider who raised a lot of fear. The company wants me to replace the furnace. Is this an issue or not? Has been going on more than 10 years. I am on a well; if that makes a difference.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,162

Doesn't leak? Runs fine? Been that way for a while? New provider? Pity the new provider is a salesman resorting to fear. I don't have much use for those folks.

Can you find a different provider?

Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    cwetzel1HVACNUTEdTheHeaterMan
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 5,121

You have a Sales Oriented service provider now.

Time to find a Service Provider.

cwetzel1mattmia2
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,426

Where is the rust coming from? If there is a fitting that is leaking a little would be a good idea to fix that but not a sign you need a new boiler unless the boiler hx is leaking.

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 6,073

The moisture in the gauge? Replace the gauge.

Those granules have been there, or you clean then and they reappear? Looks like Speedy Dry.

Looks like a steel horizontal fire tube wet leg boiler. It's 20 years old, put properly maintained, it should last a lot longer.