Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Ecobee pro rebooting

Hello all, just ran new wires and installed a kit to the boiler controler. After setting everything up I noticed ecobee rebooting a few times. At first I thought it was ecobee doing update, but now I just received a constant 24v is required.

I follow the instructions and I read it twice. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ecobee wiring.

I used a blue wire to C, red wire to RC, and white wire to W1.

On the Beckett 51950U kit

The ecobee is wired to it,

Blue wire is on C, Red wire is on R, White wire is on W.

Betckeet51950u is wired

The transformer is black to C terminal, and white to W. The black wire from the transformer is to black and white to white for power.

The board has a red wire and white wire

The red is TR and the white on TW.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,627
    edited October 13

Something is not right.

This is what you should have

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• HeatingN00b
    HeatingN00b Member Posts: 67

This is how I wired it (red to the ecobee is connected to RC) should it go to the RH instead?

Also the yellow and green wires are not connected. Should it be connected (boiler is only heat / steam no Ac).

• HeatingN00b

Does not plug-in the green and yellow wire cause any problems?

STEAM DOCTOR
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,162

Get out your trusty multimeter. You should read 24 VAC from RC and RH to C. You may need a jumper from RC to RH.

Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • EdTheHeaterMan

The Ecobee has an RH and an RC.

Try to swap the Red wire on the Ecobee from RC to RH

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• HeatingN00b

Sorry if I'm a little slow.

On the ecobee I only have RC connect. Should I swap it and connect it to RH?

A jumpee from RC to RH... Should I connect the yellow wire to the c constant terminal an plug in the yellow wire to the RH?

• EdTheHeaterMan

Edward Young Retired

• EdTheHeaterMan

no need for Yellow or Green

Edward Young Retired

HeatingN00b
  • Jamie Hall

One way or another, you need a red wire connection to Rh. A jumper from Rc is easiest.

Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Greening
    Greening Member Posts: 33
    edited October 13

Does your Ecobee have an equipment configuation that allows you to choose "RC only"?

Maybe this will help

https://support.ecobee.com/s/articles/3-wire-heat-only-thermostat-R-G-W

• HeatingN00b

Even do I only have heat (steam) system no ac?

When you say jumper does that mean having two wires RH and RC connected to the same red line?

• HeatingN00b

When it first boot I ask if RC is the only connection. I click yes.

• Jamie Hall

Which, of course, is true. It is the only connection. Our point is that it shouldn't be.

Br. Jamie, osb
  • HeatingN00b

Ok. Thank you. Once I get out of work I will take a look.

• HeatingN00b

Just tried removing RC and plugging in RH. It would not boot.

Just plugged in the green wire to RC and the red wire to RH and connected both red and green to the red transformer wire / terminal. So far it booted, let's see if I get the error message.

I can't find my multi reader (wife moved it while cleaning and don't remember the placement). Anything that I should be paying attention to at the moment?

Thank you

• EdTheHeaterMan

What is the model number of the Ecobee? There is a reason for the problem, it could be in the initial setup of the thermostat, It could be that RC and RH need to be jumped together, I would need to read the manual. I can find the manual online if I had the exact model number ot your thermostat.

Edward Young Retired

HeatingN00b
  • EdTheHeaterMan

Have you tried this?

Edward Young Retired

• HeatingN00b

Yes, I just did something like this.

Just plugged in the green wire to RC and the red wire to RH, and connected both red and green to the red transformer wire / terminal. So far it booted, let's see if I get the error message.

Thank you

• Jamie Hall

Hope it works now! Someday I'm going to take one of those things apart and find out what goes on inside. I know on the Honeywells that both Rc and Rh must be powered for the system to operate, but not necessarily with the same power source, but that they share a return connection ( C ). I think — but I'm not sure — that the internal battery is powered by whatever power source is connected between Rh and C, and the other heating side outputs are switched between the output and Rh. The cooling side outputs are switched between the output and Rc,

Br. Jamie, osb
    HeatingN00b
  • EdTheHeaterMan

In most smart thermostats, R or Rc is the terminal that goes to power up the onboard computer. C is the return path from that onboard computer to the power source. So you need to connect RC and C to the same transformer to get the thermostat to boot up properly.

Now depending on how the manufacturer sets up the internal components, you may or may not need RH in order to connect the W on the thermostat to the burner control(s) I'm not sure how you thermostat is designed, so the model number of that thermostat will help me locate the technical documents online.

OR

see if the RC to RH jumper wire does the trick.

Edward Young Retired

HeatingN00b
  • HeatingN00b
    edited October 14

Just noticed, it rebooted again (was calibrating.... and I). I have both RC and RH connected to the red terminal of the transformer and c connected to the black terminal of the transformer (White connected to W).

I reformated the ecobee and this time it detected both RH and RC along with the rest of the wires. Shortly after it rebooted.

Thermometer is an ecobee premium.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

• HeatingN00b

Came back to a reboot and after reformatting and detecting all the wires (RC and RH) it rebooted on me right on my face 😔.

Any other suggestions that can help?

Thank you

• Jamie Hall

Take the thermostat off the mount. Now. With the transformer connected and on, what voltage do you measure between Rc and C? Between Rh and C? Between Rh and W? Pay no attention at this point to the wire colours. Just voltages.

Br. Jamie, osb
    HeatingN00b
  • HeatingN00b
    edited October 15

Just checking at the boiler controler between C and R I get 28v. At the Ecobee base ... between C and RH 28v and between C and RC same 28v.

I uploaded a short video just in case.

Any suggestions what can I try next.... Man never thought it would be this hard 😔. The boiler has an automatic water feeder, and a low water safety system, could any of those make the voltage drop on the transformer?

Or could it be that the Ecobee is defective?

Short video/ pictures

https://imgur.com/a/ecobee-QsbgzaQ

Thank you for your help so far.

• HeatingN00b

How often can a transformer go bad?

• Jamie Hall

If it was ever shorted… poof. However, if you are getting that 28 VAC at the terminals for the Ecobee, the transformer — and wiring is at least intact. However — and this is hard to check — if there is a bad connection in any of the wires, or if one of the wires has been chewed to the point where it is hanging by a thread, that can introduce enough resistance to drop the voltage low enough to cause problems. Check all the connections for being clean and tight.

Br. Jamie, osb
    HeatingN00b
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    edited October 15

OK. If you have not been able to get this to work, I have an idea. There is a wiring diagram in the Ecobee information for a 2 transformer system. Not unlike what you have with the Beckett 51950U AC ready kit with R, Y, G, W, & C and the Beckett GeniSys primary control with T T terminals

If all the attempts that have been made to get it to work have failed, you can try this

Use the Beckett 5095U and transformer as if it were operating an air handler.

1. Connect W and Rh on the thermostat to the Beckett GeniSys T T terminals
    2. Connect Rc from the thermostat to R on the Beckett 51950U terminal board.
    3. Connect R from the Beckett 51950U transformer to the R on the 51950U terminal board.
    4. Connect C from the thermostat to C on the Beckett 51950U terminal board.
    5. Connect C from the Beckett 51950U transformer to the C on the 51950U terminal board.
    6. Now here is the kicker. To fool the thermostat into believing that an air conditioner is connected, Connect Y from the thermostat to W on the 51950U terminal board. This has a small relay that will offer the resistance needed to tell the Ecobee that there is cooling relay connected. You will never use this relay, it's just there to fool the thermostat. and you already own it.

When you program the thermostat for the connected devices, you want to indicate to the Ecobee that you have air conditioning (Cooling). The thermostat will understand that there is a relay (the one in the Beckett 51950U) that is connected to Y (which is the cooling terminal) and understand within the Ecobee's logic computer that you have AC. Also indicate in the set up that you have 2 transformers (because you do).

This should work for you with the equipment you already own.

Edward Young Retired

• HeatingN00b

Its a new line, the old one was on its last leg..... I'll tighten the screws and make sure there is no staples on the line 😕