Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler soft water vs well water

Wcurtis
Wcurtis Member Posts: 41
edited September 23 in Water Quality

Would like advice on whether to repipe the water supply to my boiler from soft water back to well water?

PH at boiler is 7.1 and I supplement water only after the weekly LWCO if needed, the original water within the boiler was replenished when the plugged drain valve was replaced and no chemical treatment is in use. System has an acid neutralizer, 1-micron sediment filter and UV light as well.

House came with soft water 5-years ago and no idea how long it is piped this way and no current problems with boiler (50-yr old HB Smith)

I can appreciate the arguments for either (giving up calcium/magnesium for sodium however sodium chlorides are rough on metal interiors in exchange for the softness), however the higher operating water temperature may offset any harm sodium chloride MAY be doing.

No reason to believe pipe internal damage exists or if any damage was there prior to being repiped.

Looking forward for responses, will likely repipe for either option anyway but haven't chosen the full time participate yet.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,230

Unless your water is super hard, use the well water. Softened water is far more corrosive than hard water.

Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,510
    edited September 23

Hi, You wrote "however the higher operating water temperature may offset any harm sodium chloride MAY be doing." My understanding is that higher temps will actually speed up chemical reactions, so I don't see higher temps as a mitigating factor for the presence of sodium. Calcium and magnesium fall out of solution with heating, so the water becomes softened, like rain soft.

Yours, Larry

ethicalpaul
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,891

how hard is the water

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Wcurtis
    Wcurtis Member Posts: 41

Thanks for inputs guys, guess I needed confirmation from another source which you have graciously provided.

Will be repiping in early December when UV bulb is changed and check incoming well hardness as I dont have a recent analysis for a basis for softening.

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,891

test kits or strips are fairly inexpensive

Most manufacturers suggest hardness in excess if 7 grains needs to be addressed

Ph is low also

Is this a steam or hot

water boiler?

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream