Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need to Replace my steam boiler in my 1871 two family

eliteyager
eliteyager Member Posts: 1

The Question: What are affordable ways for me to replace an old steam boiler. Fix the broken system, modify the existing system, or replace it with an alternative system.

The Background: I had many issues with my boiler through the winter season and felt that it was likely on its way out based on input from my hvac brother. I just had it serviced and the tech said the same. My brother recommended mini splits as that's basically all he does. An uncle in the trade suggested just replacing the boiler as it would be the most cost effective option or retrofitting the system to use water instead of steam. My brother is adamant about the rebates if I go with heat pumps but I've heard that they do not work well in real cold weather which has me reconsidering as I live in MA and do not have a well insulated house.

TLDR: Need to replace old steam boiler in an even older house. What are the most affordable options open to me.

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,122

Find someone that knows steam well like @New England SteamWorks to figure out what other people have done to the system and make it work correctly. Unless someone really destroyed it fixing it will be the least expensive option. Make sure if you look at other options that you are looking at pricing for quality work for the other options. There is a decent chance that you don't need a new boiler if someone that understands steam looks at it. Converting steam to hot water is rarely a good idea but repairing the steam is usually relatively easy for someone that understands it.

bburdMad Dog_2Greening
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 5,026

Heat Pumps are fine in that environment BUT keep the steam as a back up. When the NE wind is blowing and the temperatures are negative heat pumps produce less and less heat. That steamer will keep you warm until the weather improves.

BobCGGrossCLambjim s_2
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,883

As noted, your least expensive option will be to replace the boiler — if it actually does need replacing — and restore the steam system to good condition. Depending on where you are in Massachusetts, there are a few really good people to work with — @New England SteamWorks is one, of @Charlie from wmass in the western wilderness (anywhere west of I 495, really).

Heat pumps sound so attractive, but if your temperatures drop into single digits or below zero they might keep you vaguely warm, if you get a cold temperature one, but the electric bills will make you cry. They are fine for supplemental and shoulder season heat. Not for the heavy lifting.

Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    BobCMad Dog_2mattmia2PC7060
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,339

Eliteyager: you have Two excellent choices there for installing contractors. I vouch for their fine work. Good Luck, Mad Dog 🐕

mattmia2
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,487

I'm just south of Boston in a 100 year old home a block off the bay. I had a heat pump installed in 2016 and use it on moderately cold days to heat my first floor. It saves a little money but when the NE wind starts to blow I'm glad to have the steam as a backup.

If I were in a new tight house with good insulation it would be a different story.

Bob

Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    ChicagoCooperatormattmich
  • AdmiralYoda
    AdmiralYoda Member Posts: 645

Aside from my rant…..can you show us some pictures of your boiler? A few different angles showing the piping in and out?

What exactly do you believe is broken? What is it doing or not doing?

mattmia2dabrakemanChicagoCooperatorCLamb
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,339
    edited August 22

Yoda...now imagine if you took that guy...UNNECESSARY new boiler...doing the same thing. Unfortunately, most H.O s wrongly assume a new boiler = Improved total system. Mad Dog 🐕

• AdmiralYoda
    AdmiralYoda Member Posts: 645

@Mad Dog_2….Exactly! My 44 year old Peerless operates at 80% plus efficiency, pretty much the same as a brand new one! I've added an automatic vent damper and added a Vaporstat in addition to the Pressuretrol over the years, but thats it!

Knowing what I know now I a properly sized new boiler would likely save me some money as I'm about 150% oversized and my near boiler piping isn't exactly correct. But I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

At worst if I had a new boiler installed back in 2007 it probably would have been even more oversized since most HVAC installers don't bother with EDR calculations and tend to install the next size up boiler "just in case".

mattmia2Mad Dog_2LRCCBJ
  • Lance
    Lance Member Posts: 285

The trouble with the word replace is it does not always mean "improved", or even equal and in some cases worse.

The smart people, the wise people are starting to peel back the curtains and find the hype and claims are often distorted and when "all", "not some"; but "all the factors" are considered. The better way is often to step back and get the right people involved. WE may not all be experts but this site sure has a lot of good knowledge and experience. A true testament to the saying; "We are better together than apart".

LRCCBJ
  • leonz
    leonz Member Posts: 1,228
    edited August 24

I second what Lance has said and what mad dog has said suggesting @New England SteamWorks and @Charlie from wmass.

Was this person a steam licensed boiler plumber or an oil company burner service person?

You do not need anyone selling you a heat pump as your steam system may just need a few repairs, cleaning the sump free of mud, and perhaps new vents to balance the system and perhaps a double drop header later to make dry steam which will heat the 2 family home more effectively by creating dry steam that will heat the radiators faster and make them hold the heat longer because the steam is dry and holds more heat to heat the pipes and radiators which will make the radiators hotter so the heat that delivered to them will them last longer and radiate more slowly if they are properly balanced.

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,487

I'm not as young as i once was and Moving the 14,000 BTU window shaker was no longer doable by myself so I had a 12'000 BTU heat pump installed in 2016 to cool the first floor. This unit also heats the first floor in the shoulder seasons.

I lesgy the steam right where it was and use it when if hets down to the mid 20's when the heat pump can't keep up with the heat needs. Thias house isa over 100 years old and I would not trust a heat pump to work as well at cold temperatures.

I agree Charlie or NE Steamworks are your best choices when it comes to steam.

Bob

Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    Greening