Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Noisy steam condensate return pump

HawkThua
HawkThua Member Posts: 7
edited June 22 in Strictly Steam

Hi there, I need help to identify a problem with my condensate return pump. It makes a noise after it turns off. I don't really how to describe it but it's like a idle big motorcycle engine. It lasts for about 30 seconds.

I disconnected the pump from the condensate reservoir and from the downstream pipe to inspect it and then it started to make that noise.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,952

So it started to make noise after you took it off and re installed it? Are you sure it is seated properly in the housing with a new gasket?

• HawkThua

The pump ran dry for a few hours because the switch got stuck and it didn't turn off, so I tried to inspect the impeller to see if it was damaged (figured I wasn't going to be able to open it so I didn't). I'm not sure but I think it started to do the noise after I took it off of the condensate reservoir.

To me it looks like it is sitting correctly and the pump has less than 10 working hours so I'd say the gasket is new.

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,883
    edited June 22

Depending on the make and model of the pump, you may have a big problem. Not saying you do, but some of those pumps have water lubricated bearings or seals and if it ran dry for a few minutes, never mind a few hours, they're done.

Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • HawkThua

But it runs fine. It's after it stops that makes this noise. See this video, the sound is similar to what you'll hear on it

• Pumpguy
    Pumpguy Member Posts: 670

This is a new one on me. I've been fixing condensate pumps for decades and have never heard one sound like that after it shuts off. Can you tell us more about the pump; brand and model, and maybe some pictures? Can you post a recording of its sounds?

Maybe you have a leaking discharge check valve and after the pump shuts off, water flows back through the leaking check valve with a gurgling sound?

I concur with @Jamie Hall about possible shaft seal damage. All of the condensate pumps that I'm familiar with have a water lubricated mechanical shaft seal, and when these run dry, the seal overheats causing damage to the ceramic and carbon faces which results in a leaking shaft seal.

Dennis Pataki. Former Service Manager and Heating Pump Product Manager for Nash Engineering Company. Phone: 1-888 853 9963

The first step in solving any problem is TO IDENTIFY THE PROBLEM.
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,870

Maybe it's some pressure or vacuum relieving itself after the pump shuts off

NJ Steam Homeowner.
    Free NJ and remote steam advice: https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/new-jersey-steam-help/
    See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el

• PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,272
    edited June 22

Reminds me of the sound of a poorly tuned car deiseling after ignition was shutoff. From back when we all had cam driven points that needs to be changed 2x per year.

• ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,870

Well the sound up there wasn't the pump, it was a motorcycle.

NJ Steam Homeowner.
    Free NJ and remote steam advice: https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/new-jersey-steam-help/
    See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el

PC7060
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,883

Ah yes. I remember those — very late 60s into early 70s. There was supposed to be an idle stop solenoid (and was) which was bit finicky to adjust — and half the mechanics didn't even know it was there. Easy enough to fix even on Quadrajets…

Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    PC7060
  • HawkThua

That's the first thing that came to my mind. The questions are where and why, since it wasn't there before. So in my opinion it comes either from the pump, or from the check valve that's right after the pump.

Any idea on how to check them?

• PC7060

quadrajet carburetor; that a blast from the past. My first car was a 1970 Buick GS with a V8/quadrajet carb. Really good at turning fuel into exhaust. 😎

• PC7060
  • Pumpguy

Unless part of a vacuum return system, the condensate pump's receiver tank should be vented to atmosphere. That would eliminate the possibility of vacuum in the tank.

You might try manually closing the pump's discharge valve right after the pump shuts down. If closing the discharge valve eliminates the gurgling sound, that would pretty much point to a problem with the pump's discharge check valve.

Dennis Pataki. Former Service Manager and Heating Pump Product Manager for Nash Engineering Company. Phone: 1-888 853 9963

• HawkThua
    edited June 27

@Pumpguy After closing the valve for a couple of seconds it goes away

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1e3TzK38NnprMJ4CRElhMmikw_7iiFL0M/view?usp=drivesdk

I can't upload the video from my phone but there is a drive link to it

• Pumpguy

Wow! Why is that pump so noisy? Sure sounds like bad motor bearings to me.

Most condensate pumps are close coupled to the motor, and don't have their own bearings. And, the bearings in these motors are shielded, lubricated for life type. A typical life for these bearings is 10 years.

If you could tell me what the brand and model number is of your pump, I might be able to tell you what parts you need.

I would plan on new motor bearings (or a new motor) and a shaft seal and gasket kit for the pump. This is the perfect time to take care of this. Please don't wait until the start of the heating season and then say its an emergency when the motor fails.

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,952

Or just take it to a motor shop

• Pumpguy

Right @EBEBRATT-Ed, Problem is, motor shops don't always use OEM seals which may not be suitable for condensate pump applications, especially if condensate is very hot, or has high concentration of Amine based water treatment chemicals.

• HawkThua
    edited June 28

Actually you can hear a click in the beginning of the video, that is the pump shutting off. The weird noises are from the pipe.