Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Sensi Lite with one pipe steam?

Options
samdobbs
samdobbs Member Posts: 8

Anyone used a Sensi Lite thermostat with a 1-pipe steam system? I currently have a CT300 2-wire (no common C) and want to replace it with a Sensi Lite

Any comments suggestions or experiences would be appreciated

Thanks!

Comments

• ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,729
    edited May 4
    Options

They say it doesn't need a common wire, but then it has this footnote:

Systems that require a common wire include heat-only and cool-only systems

So I think you'll need a common wire to use this, which is no big deal, but why do you want to use this thermostat instead of a standard programmable?

NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • samdobbs
    Options

Thanks for pointing that out — now I should check if my CT300 actually has a common wire (it is heat only or at least wired to only control my boiler)

The sensi-lite is very appealing for its (1) wifi and (2) t-stat simplicity with all functions app controlled. I dont see any other simple tstat with wifi?

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,428
    Options

Two comments. First off, define "simple". There are quite a number of what I would regard as simple thermostats with varying degrees of wifi control — Ecobee is a good one, and the ubiquiour Nest is great for forced air (and pretty horrible for much else). They all require a common wire, because wifi is a hungry transmitter.

The other question however is… why do you need anything more complex and a battery powered programmable? Steam systems do not work well with multiple setbacks or temperature changes per day — a setback (modest) at night is OK, but fiddling the thermostat during the day only burns more oil or gas or electricity.

Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Mad Dog_2
  • samdobbs
    Options

Thank you. My notion of "simple" is just on-off i.e. no two-stage, no day/night/weekday programming, etc. I wanted wifi only to check and set and turn off when traveling. Also, I dont really understand offsets and setbacks although I assume they influence short cycling. I was attracted to sensi-lite also coz they explicitly mention boilers.

I guess I'm also misunderstanding common wire which I thought was really the analog of neutral or ground. And that the sensi-lite got its 3v wifi power from aa batteries.

I assumed my ct300 simply closed the circuit between R-W to turn on i.e. a circuit like 24vpos —> boiler switch pole1 —> R —> tstat —> W —> boiler switch pole 2 —> 24vneg prolly too simplistic/naive

I'll check out the ecobee, and welcome any other recs, thank you!