Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What happens when you run a 240V motor at 120V

Options
I have the opportunity to buy a small air handler with a four speed motor. It's not very big, it's only rated for 40VA and on the highest speed the unit is 300 CFM. But it's rated for 240V and I can only get 120V to the spot where I want to put it.

So what will happen if I wire it to 120V? Will it run at half speed? Same speed but twice the current? Blow up? Or do I have to try it and see?

I know that if it draws the same 40VA it will double the current, but only from 0.16A to 0.33A. So burning out the wiring is a concern. But looking at an ampacity table even a 32ga wire would be able to handle that, at a certain point the wire has to be big enough to prevent breaking and I think I'm probably past that.

Thoughts?

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,869
    Options
    Over amp and burn out. If it starts at all!
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,727
    Options
    If you don't mind me asking, you have me curious, what kind of air handler is only 300 CFM?

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • pecmsg
    Options
    And what motors have a VA rating? That’s transformers. 
  • GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 1,057
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

If you don't mind me asking, you have me curious, what kind of air handler is only 300 CFM?

perhaps a small concealed ducted mini split indoor unit. Most would probably call it a "fan coil" rather than air handler. something like this maybe https://www.supplyhouse.com/LG-LMDN097HV4-9000-BTU-Flex-Multi-F-Ceiling-Concealed-Duct-Air-Conditioner-Heat-Pump
  • DCContrarian
    DCContrarian Member Posts: 94
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

It's a hydronic fan coil unit.
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    pecmsg said:

And what motors have a VA rating? That’s transformers. 

I'd think any inductive load could have a VA rating.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,698
    Options
    It depends on what type of motor it is.
  • DCContrarian
    Options
    mattmia2 said:

It's a four-speed motor. It has a wire for each speed, yellow, red, blue and black, and a white common. Does that help?

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,363
    Options
    Without knowing what type of motor it is, it isn't possible to say what will happen. As a very broad generalisation, an AC induction motor -- shaded pole, split phase, that sort of thing -- may run, but with very low starting torque and running torque. Most likely won't run at all. An ECM motor probably won't run at all. However, a "universal" motor (characterised by the presence of a commutator, among other things) will likely run fine, but at a low speed and torque.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    mattmia2
  • DCContrarian
    Options
    OK, it looks like it's a permanent split capacitor (PSC) induction motor. A little internet reading tells me that the speed of each winding is entirely determined by the frequency of the power supply. At a lower voltage it runs at the same speed and same power, so a higher current. The only question would be whether the windings can handle the higher current. I don't see a way of finding out other than trying.
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,640
    Options
    At 40 VA, you should be able to find some kind of transformer that will work. https://www.ebay.com/itm/266090802476 for instance.

Shoot us a pic of the nameplate or something.

PRR
  • PRR
    PRR Member Posts: 151
    Options
    At 40VA, you could just use a transformer. Or any 2-winding 120V:240V transformer primary rated over 20VA.
    mattmia2
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,068
    Options
    What does it say on the name plate of the motor. Not necessarily the nameplate of the air handler.
    The transformer, if it has one may be rated at 40 VA.
    mattmia2
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    OK, it looks like it's a permanent split capacitor (PSC) induction motor. A little internet reading tells me that the speed of each winding is entirely determined by the frequency of the power supply. At a lower voltage it runs at the same speed and same power, so a higher current. The only question would be whether the windings can handle the higher current. I don't see a way of finding out other than trying.
    Please show us a picture of the motor or spec sheet for that unit
  • pecmsg
    Options
    Take a video of it when you energize it!
    mattmia2EdTheHeaterMandelcrossv
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,068
    edited April 5
    Options
    Pecmsg, so you too want to see the smoke escape. ;)

We should wait for the name plate/spec sheet....who knows.
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,273
    Options
    Hitachi told Canadian customers not to use 550 volts on their 480 volt machines.
  • mattmia2
    Options
    so..find one with a 120v motor or change the ckt to 240 v
    Larry Weingarten
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,904
    Options
    I want to know where someone can get a 120 VAC source of power but can not also get a 240 VAC power source? Is this a local or portable generator?
    I have seen some really old houses with a 120 VAC service from the electric company wiring on the closest utility pole. Those are the only two cases I can think of.

And if the service cable to the location is ~240 VAC but the wire from the service distribution panel to the motor location is only 2 conductor with a ground, then just wire one leg to the black wire and the other leg to the white wire (after wrapping the white wire with black or red electrical tape at each end) of the 240 VAC panel. Use the bare or green wire for the ground. There is no need for a common wire on a 240 VAC appliance unless it specifically indicates that you must have a 3 conductor feed wire.

And if you really need to use 120 VAC then you can remove all the 240 loads, (transformer, relay, motor) and replace them with the same device that will operate with 120 VAC parts. Which you will need to do anyway after you let the factory installed smoke out of the motor, transformer, or relay that you underpower for an extended time period. I think I would like to see that video also @pecmsg .

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,191
    Options
    Or get a 120 to 240 inverter
    The first Grundfos Alpha pumps were all 230 v and they came with a small cord type step up inverter.

Same with Viessmann boilers in the early years, they had inverters onboard, as they were all 230v 50hz
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • DCContrarian
    Options
    ratio said:

At 40 VA, you should be able to find some kind of transformer that will work. https://www.ebay.com/itm/266090802476 for instance.

Shoot us a pic of the nameplate or something.

I think this is the winner. I didn't realize RIB made transformers, I was able to get one off of Ebay for $25.

To those asking why I don't just run a 240V circuit or convert a 120V circuit to 240V, it's in finished space and on a shared circuit. 240V would require a dedicated circuit.
  • mattmia2
    Options
    can you run heating equipment off a shared circuit?
  • mattmia2
    Options
    if you use a control transformer(or an inverter) you'll need to make sure it can handle the starting current of the motor and that has to do with the characteristics of the core.
    PRR
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,562
    Options
    Just buy a 240-120 volt step down transformer and use it as a step up transformer 120-240 transformer But lets see the motor nameplate first.

If you

If you run a motor made for 240 on 120 you will let the smoke out

If the wire feeding this AHU come from your panel just install a two pole circuit breaker and you will have your 240 volt. If your tapping on to a 120v circuit (which you shouldn't do) you will have to use a transformer.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,904
    Options
    I did not know that you could operate an air handler from a shared circuit. I though that an air handler, or any appliance that is not equipped with a plug in type electric cord, needed a dedicated circuit. And I have never met an electrician that could not get a wire run from one location to another. That is what electricians do for a living. Bury under ground, exposed with a decorative conduit, run a fish tape behind the wall or thru the ceiling,

I'm still interested in the video!

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

mattmia2
  • mattmia2
    Options
    so much lack of knowledge of motor loads here. not sure about the code issue. i know central heating equipment must be on its own ckt.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,844
    Options
    It's a four-speed motor. It has a wire for each speed, yellow, red, blue and black, and a white common. Does that help?
    Yes. It helps a lot. It means NO, you can't use 120 volts to a 230 volt blower motor. Or any motor for that matter. The White isn't a Neutral, it's 120 volts to the motor windings and run capacitor. 
    What's the make and model of the fan coil unit? It seems like you have a typical PSC 48Y frame motor. I don't see why you can't track the correct motor.
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,273
    Options
    Common problem is somebody not realizing that 240 & 215 are different.
  • pecmsg
    Options
    How did we come up with 214?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,363
    Options
    pecmsg said:

How did we come up with 214?

That's the admittedly rather unusual connection that you get from three phase delta. Vanishingly rare in residences, but very common in downtown areas and businesses.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Options
    Although step down transformers are not technically approved to be used as a step up transformer, they can be used in an instance like this and it is commonly done.

As some mentioned above the AHU should be on it's own circuit as it is a fastened in place appliance even though the amperage is very low.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,844
    Options

• DCContrarian
    Options
    mattmia2 said:

Fixtures that require 240V require one circuit per fixture. Fixtures that require 120V can share a circuit so long as the combined full load ampacity of the appliances doesn't exceed 80% of the circuit breaker capacity.

That's kind of the problem here actually. We have three fan coil units on the same 120V circuit. I want to switch one of them out for a different one, the form factor I want is only available in 240V.
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    Fixtures that require 240V require one circuit per fixture. Fixtures that require 120V can share a circuit so long as the combined full load ampacity of the appliances doesn't exceed 80% of the circuit breaker capacity. That's kind of the problem here actually. We have three fan coil units on the same 120V circuit. I want to switch one of them out for a different one, the form factor I want is only available in 240V.
    I'll be honest. 
    I'm not sure where you're located but I have never heard of 240v circuits requiring a dedicated circuit.  We have plenty of 208 and 240 circuits in our shop that have multiple receptacles.  Of course that's 3 phase but regardless I know of no such rule in the US.

But typically HVAC equipment by code is required to be on a dedicated circuit regardless of it's voltage.

• pecmsg
    Options
    Fixtures that require 240V require one circuit per fixture. Fixtures that require 120V can share a circuit so long as the combined full load ampacity of the appliances doesn't exceed 80% of the circuit breaker capacity. That's kind of the problem here actually. We have three fan coil units on the same 120V circuit. I want to switch one of them out for a different one, the form factor I want is only available in 240V.
    Fan coil units require dedicated circuits. 
  • DCContrarian
    Options
    pecmsg said:

mattmia2 said:

Fixtures that require 240V require one circuit per fixture. Fixtures that require 120V can share a circuit so long as the combined full load ampacity of the appliances doesn't exceed 80% of the circuit breaker capacity.

That's kind of the problem here actually. We have three fan coil units on the same 120V circuit. I want to switch one of them out for a different one, the form factor I want is only available in 240V.

Fan coil units require dedicated circuits. 

The circuit with 3 FCU's was drawn up and stamped by a mechanical engineer, approved by the permit office, installed by a licensed electrician and approved by an inspector.

The FCU's are only rated at 18 Watts.
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    That sounds like a mic drop by @DCContrarian

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    Options
    @DCContrarian,

Not true. 240 volt baseboard heaters are commonly installed with multiples on the same circuit.

As far a 120 volt circuits on a general use circuit you can only load the circuit to 50% with say a window ac if it is on a circuit with lights and receptacles.

If it is not a general use 120 volt circuit HVAC equipment can only take up to 80% of the circuit rating because all HVAC equipment is considered or should be considered a continuous load.

There is no reason a circuit regardless of the voltage can't supply multiple loads as long as it is sized properly
  • DCContrarian
    Options

@DCContrarian,

Not true. 240 volt baseboard heaters are commonly installed with multiples on the same circuit.

As far a 120 volt circuits on a general use circuit you can only load the circuit to 50% with say a window ac if it is on a circuit with lights and receptacles.

If it is not a general use 120 volt circuit HVAC equipment can only take up to 80% of the circuit rating because all HVAC equipment is considered or should be considered a continuous load.

There is no reason a circuit regardless of the voltage can't supply multiple loads as long as it is sized properly

Thanks. If that's the case maybe what I should do is convert the circuit to 240V and put step-down transformers on the 120V units.