Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

EPA test?

Options
I have somebody interested in the trades, she would like to begin working with us this spring. While she’s finishing up her current job she’s trying to gain whatever book-smarts she can. Are there any good outlets to do an online EPA test? I did mine over 20 years ago, in a classroom, so I don’t know what’s good these days.
Thanks 
Gary Wilson
Wilson Services, Inc
Northampton, MA
gary@wilsonph.com

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,727
    Options
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    SlamDunkGWEdTheHeaterMan
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    I just realized I took my first 609 21 years ago in 03.

I guess I'm old too.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    Mad Dog_2GGrossGWEdTheHeaterMan
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,562
    edited March 22
    Options
    @GW

Actually, the one that @ChrisJ posted is probably better.

Sid Harvey, Bell Simons, R E Michel, Johnstone and United Refrig. all in Springfield are listed.

or

You might contact PHCC of MA @ 1-781-843-3800 or their web site www.phccma.org. They just had a class in West Marlborough on 3/1. $225 for members and $300 for non members. I think they do a class and take the test the same day.

I am sure they will be having more classes.

Got mine in 92' or 93' when they first came out.

Used to be easy back in the day all you needed on your truck was 502, 12 and 22. :)

They call this EPA 608 I guess that is wat you need. Type 1, 2 or 3

GW
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,698
    Options
    there is a book you can read. i called a number of the places that were certified by the epa to give the test and the few that returned my call weren't giving it around 15-20 years ago.
    GW
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Options
    The local rumor mill is that the plumbers and heating guys who have never done any refrigeration work are looking to get into the heat pump craze because of the new GREEN heat pumps and also some towns in MA are not allowing gas or oil.

So at least around here there is more activity about the EPA 608
    GW
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,312
    Options
    @GW, our friends at The ESCO Institute have the EPA test available online here. They also have a training course here. @Eugene_Silberstein is their National Programs Director.

President
    HeatingHelp.com

mattmia2GW
  • Mustangman
    Mustangman Member Posts: 105
    Options
    Kudos to the guys who are looking to add heat pumps on their shingle now. We all see the trends and where the HVAC profession is heading. The fossil fuel market is shrinking. So you can sit and do nothing as your phone traffic dies, or change with the times now.
    Hiring qualified men is where it starts. You are only as good as your field guys. The problem is, there are not many techs to hire. At my place of employment, we do training from within. I teach a class 2x a month. This company does a ton of plumbing too. Some of those guys want to cross over to more HVAC and boiler heating. It works for us. It accelerates that learning process a bit where we can make money on him. Challenging times.
    Steve
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,695
    Options
    The local rumor mill is that the plumbers and heating guys who have never done any refrigeration work are looking to get into the heat pump craze 
    Ed yes it’s gravy work until something goes wrong. “Yes we install heat pump (but don’t call us for service)”——seems to be a thing. Probably nothing new 
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    PC7060
  • GW
    Options
    Mustangman said: Hiring qualified men is where it starts. You are only as good as your field guys. 
    Yes that’s tru for sure. Some guys can't get into sophisticated control strategies (wifi set up, pc laptop connected diagnostics, “system sizer” programs, manual J that are somewhat close to reality, complicated setting changes with commercial/VRF systems etc etc. I think it’s always been true that there was a little separation between the worker bees in the field and the owner/manager that did the heavy thinking/ layout. But now it’s been amped up quite a bit. if the owner/manager can’t do this stuff, there’s going to be spaghetti flying all over the place, seeing what sticks. A mistake can be very costly, especially here in Massachusetts, where things are hyper focused on rebate money,

Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    GGross
  • GW
    Options
    @GW, our friends at The ESCO Institute have the EPA test available online here. They also have a training course here. @Eugene_Silberstein is their National Programs Director.
    Super I pointed my lurker person to this page. Carly you tuning in ?😀
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    Erin Holohan HaskellCFALGGross
  • mattmia2
    Options
    GW said:

The local rumor mill is that the plumbers and heating guys who have never done any refrigeration work are looking to get into the heat pump craze 

Ed yes it’s gravy work until something goes wrong. “Yes we install heat pump (but don’t call us for service)”——seems to be a thing. Probably nothing new 

the thing this misses is those things went wrong because they didn't understand what they were doing.
  • GW
    Options
    No, systems have glitches that were installed perfectly well.
     but yes, a bad install, that of course is a different conversation
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • mattmia2
    Options
    passing the refrigerant certification exams isn't going to teach you how to install refrigeration systems. it is necessary to handle refrigerant but there is a whole bachelor's degree worth of stuff you need to know to do it properly.
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    mattmia2 said:
    passing the refrigerant certification exams isn't going to teach you how to install refrigeration systems. it is necessary to handle refrigerant but there is a whole bachelor's degree worth of stuff you need to know to do it properly.
    I'm pretty sure @GW is more than aware of what's required.

GGross
  • GW
    Options
    Thanks Chris I sure do try. The general topic was regarding a newb in the trades 
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • ChrisJ
    edited March 24
    Options
    GW said:
    Thanks Chris I sure do try. The general topic was regarding a newb in the trades 
    I'm sorry my mistake
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,705
    Options

Hiring qualified men is where it starts. You are only as good as your field guys. The problem is, there are not many techs to hire.

I respectfully suggest stop only thinking about hiring men and double your potential work pool
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    mattmia2Erin Holohan Haskell
  • GW
    edited March 26
    Options
    Chris OK cool well it seemed like you were sticking up for me nevertheless, thanks
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • CFAL
    CFAL Member Posts: 1
    Options
    GW said:
    Super I pointed my lurker person to this page. Carly you tuning in ?😀
    I’m on it 🫡 ESCO it will be, almost ready 🙂
    Erin Holohan HaskellGGrossGW
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,904
    Options
    I just found my very first test results from Ferris State University. in a box of old documents. I only passed the core and type I the first time out, and my certification number was my social security number. Now that one is OLD!

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

GGross
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Options
    @EdTheHeaterMan

Mine was Ferris State too.

It is so old I can hardly read it. Can't remember when they first came out? 92? 93? mine is out in my truck. Not going out there to look.

Passed all of them. Probably couldn't pass any of them now.

Ferris state must have had quite the deal.