Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water in sight glass

Options
amcauley
amcauley Member Posts: 4
Would you be able to advise why there is continuous water in steam boiler? The main water line to boiler has been turned off, yet each day I have to drain the boiler. Usually about 4 buckets before the water returns to normal level in sight glass. I have turned the boiler off and water continues to fill in.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,344
    Options
    Is there a tankless domestic hot water coil on the boiler? If so, there's your problem. It's leaking...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Big Ed_4amcauleymattmia2
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    Options
    Water doesn't self-generate so there is some connection from fresh water to your boiler.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    amcauley
  • amcauley
    Options
    Just an update I have a gas boiler.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,680
    Options

Is there a tankless domestic hot water coil on the boiler? If so, there's your problem. It's leaking...

Or an indirect water heater.
    amcauley
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,550
    Options
    Either you manual fill valve is leaking by. (Check to see if the pipe between the valve and the boiler is cold. Or your tankless coil or indirect water heater if you have those has failed. Unless you have an automatic water feeder leaking by.
    mattmia2amcauley
  • delcrossv
    delcrossv Member Posts: 742
    edited March 5
    Options
    Or there's an almost closed radiator somewhere that's draining back to the boiler. ;)
    Had one in one apartment that probably had 20 gallons of condensate in it.
    Trying to squeeze the best out of a Weil-McLain JB-5 running a 1912 1 pipe system.
    amcauleymattmia2
  • amcauley
    Options
    Yes, I do have 2 radiators closed because of leaking at the valve and loud hissing. So to begin figuring out this mystery, I will start by opening them to see the outcome.
    delcrossv
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,344
    Options
    amcauley said:

Would you be able to advise why there is continuous water in steam boiler? The main water line to boiler has been turned off, yet each day I have to drain the boiler. Usually about 4 buckets before the water returns to normal level in sight glass. I have turned the boiler off and water continues to fill in.

Well that puts paid to the slow return theory. The boiler is turned off. The radiators in question are turned off. Any trapped condensate they had has come back long ago... or isn't coming back at all.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,873
    Options
    I wonder if @amcauley is still having this problem?
    Is there a chance that a feed valve is passing? even if the valve is completely closed but some water ls still passing, like a dripping faucet might be completely closed but a drip still happens. All you would need to fix this is a new valve that does not pass a little drop of water even when completely closed.

If you are a decent DIY kind of person, this will be no problem for you. If you do not have the skill set to replace a leaking valve, then a plumber would be in order.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?