Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

NYC Boiler Room ceiling must be sheet metal lined ?

Options
FixHVAC
FixHVAC Member Posts: 3
I've tried to find the code for this but to no avail.
Someone told me that lining the ceiling of a boiler room with sheet metal is a NYC code requirement for fire prevention - is that true?
Boiler is gas, 300k btu, multifamily building.

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,873
    edited February 29
    Options
    The Code may not specifically state "SHEET METAL" but there is a fire rating that must be followed. The code may say that the wall or ceiling must have a "2 hour rating" meaning that a boiler room fire must be contained within the room for a minimum of 2 hours. The builder or building design engineer or the contractor that is making the renovations to the existing building, should know if double layer of sheetrock or 5/8" sheetrock or a metal barrier between the ceiling and the framing or framing then sheetrock then sheet metal will meet with the code requirements.

Check with the authority having jurisdiction for clarification, and get it in writing if you can.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

PC7060Mad Dog_2
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,550
    Options
    I would think that would be in the building code
  • bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 917
    Options
    Usually drywall is used to construct fire rated ceilings. Type X is "fire code" drywall and may be required. The thickness and number of layers are selected to make up the required fire rating in hours. This is all described in the building code.

Bburd
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,679
    Options

The Code may not specifically state "SHEET METAL" but there is a fire rating that must be followed. The code may say that the wall or ceiling must have a "2 hour rating" meaning that a boiler room fire must be contained within the room for a minimum of 2 hours. The builder or building design engineer or the contractor that is making the renovations to the existing building, should know if double layer of sheetrock or 5/8" sheetrock or a metal barrier between the ceiling and the framing or framing then sheetrock then sheet metal will meet with the code requirements.

Check with the authority having jurisdiction for clarification, and get it in writing if you can.

50/50 chance that will result in someone telling you where to put something with a brooklyn accent.
    EdTheHeaterManGGross
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,873
    edited February 29
    Options
    @mattmia2 In Jouisey we are a little nicer... not much but a little. But If you practice the trade below the Trenton Dixon line. you are in the south where it is pronounced JEr*sy not Jouisey then we are a lot nicer.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

HomerJSmithGGross
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,344
    Options

I would think that would be in the building code

Maybe. I would hope, optimist that I am, that the code requirement would be a performance, not a material, requirement.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,988
    Options
    Look in the Fire 🔥 Prevention Code mad Dog 🐕 
  • FixHVAC
    edited March 1
    Options

EdTheHeaterMan said:

The Code may not specifically state "SHEET METAL" but there is a fire rating that must be followed. The code may say that the wall or ceiling must have a "2 hour rating" meaning that a boiler room fire must be contained within the room for a minimum of 2 hours. The builder or building design engineer or the contractor that is making the renovations to the existing building, should know if double layer of sheetrock or 5/8" sheetrock or a metal barrier between the ceiling and the framing or framing then sheetrock then sheet metal will meet with the code requirements. Check with the authority having jurisdiction for clarification, and get it in writing if you can.

Thanks for the advice. 

Yes I saw in the code the requirement for fire rating that can be achieved by using 5/8 drywall but others are telling me “no for sure you need a layer of sheet metal regardless of what you have above it” but maybe it’s just a case of people talking out of their azz.

Anyone know what the fire rating of wonder/cement board is? Asking because there is a bathroom above the boiler room ceiling and in case of any leaks upstairs I know wonder/cement board deals with water better than drywall.

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    The code will give you the required fire rating. The designer or builder will determine how to meet that rating. Some jurisdictions will adopt a particular code, and then have an amendment package that goes with it, so be sure to ask. This is a good resource for fire and sound-rated assemblies. https://www.usg.com/content/dam/USG_Marketing_Communications/united_states/product_promotional_materials/finished_assets/usg-fire-resistant-assemblies-catalog-en-SA100.pdf
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    Mad Dog_2
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,679
    Options
    The code also usually gives the fire rating of certain assemblies.
    Mad Dog_2
  • Panheadsforever
    Panheadsforever Member Posts: 21
    Options
    Ask the inspector
    Mad Dog_2
  • FixHVAC
    Options
    Ask the inspector
    In NYC asking the inspector is the same as asking for an inspection and getting a violation
    Mad Dog_2