Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Fish House in Berkeley

Options
I was here yesterday flushing air out of the radiant (polybutylene). It's pretty wild and very well done.

8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
hot_rodkcoppPC7060Erin Holohan HaskellIntplm.Mad Dog_2EdTheHeaterMan

Comments

• Slahoodeen
    Slahoodeen Member Posts: 1
    edited February 13
    Options

I was here yesterday flushing air out of the radiant (polybutylene). It's pretty wild and very well done.

Name

great
    hot1
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 4,016
    edited February 14
    Options
    The owner built it for his parents in the mid-1990's. His grandchildren now live there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ojo_del_Sol

PC7060
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,918
    Options
    When I saw the title, I was wondering why the heck anybody would have a fish house in California. Now I see that it's not a shack that gets set on the ice for winter fishing, which is the definition of fish house in my parts lol
    WMno57CLamb
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,068
    Options
    How has the PB held up over the years? Is it PBX or not.....O2 barrier?
  • GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 1,057
    edited February 14
    Options
    if they run extremely low temperature the non barrier might not be a huge issue. It would be too bad if the pb failed, reading about this house the architect designed it after the tardigrade, and was meant to be " the safest house in the world," intended to survive fires, earthquakes, flooding, and termites". so hopefully it survives the pb tubing as well
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,640
    Options
    I bet his neighbors loved that when it went in.
    PC7060
  • Voyager
    Voyager Member Posts: 395
    Options
    Definitely Berkeley. :D
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    The non- barrier polybutylene has held up very well - no issues. Radiant heating is only in the lower floor which is about 500 square feet and the heat source is a domestic water heater; stainless steel pump. A marriage made in heaven. Oxygen intrusion? No problem. 

The neighborhood has mostly small, working class homes that go at a premium because of their proximity to the Fish House. It’s considered good luck. 

A previous tenant was a group of start-up entrepreneurs that claimed that all their most brilliant ideas came to them while living here. 

Have you ever been to Sedona, Arizona and experienced standing in a vortex?  Being in the Fish House reminded me of that feeling. Safe, secure, inspired ……

GGross