Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Plumbing and Steam Heating

umichaelx
umichaelx Member Posts: 11
Happy New Year to everyone.
I would greatly appreciate your recommendation for
(1). A very good Plumber - I need to replace old galvanized pipes
(2). A very good person/company for Steam Heating.
I have a few properties located in Queens, New York.
Thank you in advance for your time.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,973
    Check "Find a contractor" up above. There are a number of folks with different services available in your area.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    ethicalpaul
  • umichaelx
    There are NO contractors listed for New York here on the "Find a Contractor".
    TwoTones
  • dko
    dko Member Posts: 668
    I see what you mean, there is no NY square button (I find that odd too). You could find and click NY on the map though
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/state/NY
    umichaelx
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,989
    Try @JohnNY
    umichaelx
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,938
    That's why there's no square button...only the small states that you can't easily click (think mobile devices) have square buttons.

NJ Steam Homeowner.
    Free NJ and remote steam advice: https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/new-jersey-steam-help/
    See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el

• Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,347

That's why there's no square button...only the small states that you can't easily click (think mobile devices) have square buttons.

Yes to this. Thank you!

President
    HeatingHelp.com

umichaelx
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,354
    Were just waiting for your call.  On the Nassau Queens Border.  Mad Dog 🐕 
  • umichaelx
    edited January 20
    I appreciate everyone's input here. I wonder what is the requirement for a contractor to put up his/her company name here on the HeatingHelp portal. Yes, I have to do my due diligence. I check the reviews for the contractor against Angi's list, Google reviews, BBB Rating, etc. It is most difficult to find HONEST, extremely KNOWLEDGEABLE/SKILLED, and DEPENDABLE people today - a contractor who takes pride in his work as well. In addition, I notice some contractors make videos in people's private homes/private spaces and post them on uTube without the homeowner's permission - a desperate effort to generate additional revenue in my opinion - immoral and unethical as well. I pray to God that I can find good contractors - someone like the genius "Dan Holohan" whom I can stick with for many years. I do not jump around to look for the cheapest labor. The qualities I describe here are most important to me in choosing a contractor. I am grateful to you Mr. Dan Holohan for this website and for sharing wisdom.
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,973
    We don't necessarily "vet" a contractor on Heating Help. That isn't what we do. That said, I am exceedingly skeptical of the three reference sources mentioned in the previous post, since they are wide open to anyone who cares to either load them positive -- or negative.

Talk to people. For that matter, talk to us -- we know most of the folks in the Find a Contractor list, one way or another.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Alan (California Radiant) ForbesumichaelxIntplm.
  • I have found credence with Yelp! reviews. Although these days, I don’t trust the internet anymore. 
    Find an older guy without employees. Once a steam guy becomes established, they may not do plumbing anymore; unless they have nothing to do in the warmer months. 
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    umichaelxMad Dog_2
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,347
    @umichaelx, we do not vet the contractors on Find a Contractor, but have found that the contractors in our community are experts in their field who take pride in a job well done, value education, and are generous in sharing their knowledge with others.

President
    HeatingHelp.com

Mad Dog_2umichaelx
  • dko
    dko Member Posts: 668
    edited January 21
    nvm
  • WMno57
    WMno57 Member Posts: 1,408
    edited January 22
    umichaelx said:

In addition, I notice some contractors make videos in people's private homes/private spaces and post them on uTube without the homeowner's permission - a desperate effort to generate additional revenue in my opinion - immoral and unethical as well.

All the contractors here will respect your privacy and confidentiality. Mention your concerns to them. They understand and will respect your wishes.
    One of the contractors on the HeatingHelp Find a Contractor tool did some work for the family of a billionaire. I found this out, not from the contractor, but from another source (don't ask). I could tell you, but then I'd have to wipe some computers (not with a cloth). Is that too political?
    When your contractor has other customers in those circles, rest assured, your basement will not appear on youTube.
    bburdMad Dog_2umichaelx
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,354
    Heating Help, The Wall, and Find a Contractor is a self-policing situation.  Word of mouth and peer review reign here too.  I always ask people I am thinking of hiring for recent and past recommendations of work they did.  Also, Testimonials are excellent too.  Good luck.  Mad Dog 🐕 
    WMno57umichaelx