Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Want to Start your own HVAC business?

If you live in the Greater Philadelphia Area and you know how to do it better than your boss, then you might try to start your own business. About 20% of new businesses fail in the first year. Almost 50% in the first 5 years. Why not do it by starting your own business that is already established for more than 20 years?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPOmdOym_Go

I understand that some good mechanics go into business and fail because they are good at what they do but don't understand the mechanics of operating their own business. This is an opportunity to get a seasoned, hands on technician, that has passed the 1, 5, and 10 year failure rate for new businesses: to teach you the ropes of owning and operating a business, along with his technical experience of over 40 years in the trade.

You get built in established repeat business from service agreements to keep employees on the payroll during the slow spring and autumn seasons with more than just busy work that loses money. Learn and understand Job costing for a profit! This is one of the most difficult things for a new business owner, because they think they can work for wages so they underprice the service calls and new installation work to get the job. Get paid the “Big Bucks” then realize that they owe taxes phone bills and insurance premiums AFTER they spent the profits. All because they underpriced the job in the first place.

Great opportunity for the right person or family to get in business for themselves without the growing pains of making all those beginner mistakes. Use this old guy’s knowledge before it is too late.

Could be worth Relocating to the Greater Philadelphia Area even if you are not an EAGLES fan.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 5,125
    Huge difference between great techs and great business men. 
    EdTheHeaterManMad Dog_2LRCCBJ
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,676
    edited January 19
    pecmsg said:

Huge difference between great techs and great business men. 

My brother, like me, happens to be both. The right person or family may be able to take this business to the next level. Hiring technicians is a special skill we both learned from our father and uncle Frank. There is a system to getting the best and keeping them happy on the job so they stick with you for the long term. Family secret for the purchaser of FT Young Asst.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

ChrisJ
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    edited January 19
    As an added incentive, you not only get Frank's 40+ years of experience, you also get a great, established for generations of experience, and reputation to help you grow and earn big profits. My cousins and brothers learned the trade and how to grow a business from our fathers. It's like getting the secret recipe from Colonel Sander's for the secret 11 herbs and spices.
    Here is a picture of the first Service Agreement that helped grow the F.P. Young company in the 1950s to become the largest independent Fuel Oil Dealer in Philadelphia by the 1980s with over 5000 automatic delivery accounts.

Edward Young Retired

DJD775ChrisJIntplm.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,108
    When I started in 73" the company I worked for the service contract was 18.50 I think and we were the most expensive dealer in town.
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,377
    I always went for niches. Price competition kills.
    Larry WeingartenSteamhead
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    edited January 20

When I started in 73" the company I worked for the service contract was 18.50 I think and we were the most expensive dealer in town.

I think that this was a brochure from the. Late 1960’s early 70’s. I think I remember a service contract brochure with a $9.95 price point from the late 1950s.

Get this…. FP Young would cover that GE down-fire boiler with the master control and compressor for only $5.00 more. ($19.95). And we had a parts room with 30 or more rebuilt compressors in the shelf. I used to put them on a test bench to see if they would meet minimum specifications after rebuilding them.

I remember picking up parts from the General Electric parts warehouse on Rising Sun avenue in Philadelphia.

Oh to be Young again

Oh wait… I am Young…. Ed Young :D

Edward Young Retired

GGrossTeemok
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    I just talked to my brother. He told me that this video was not him talking but Artificial Intelligence reading a script he typed out. How cool it that?

Edward Young Retired

GGross
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,503

@xoxosta , Coming here and linking your first post to what is essentially a sales page, makes it look like spam. It's not a good way to share your knowledge or ideas. If you want to tell us why software like this is relevant to this discussion and is helpful, great! Still, avoid the link promoting only one site.

Yours, Larry

• GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,799

That's for sure. You can be 'average' at both and make a good living it seems.

"Great", not sure what that means. Some of us max out at several employees, others crank up to 50 plus employees (the big leagues)

Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,349

President
    HeatingHelp.com

Larry Weingarten
  • EdTheHeaterMan

@Erin Holohan Haskell

Is the previous post another spam ? Check out @lesliestone history. second post links to an ad for a lead generating service

Edward Young Retired

PC7060
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,349

Yes, that was spam. Thanks @EdTheHeaterMan!

President
    HeatingHelp.com