Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is it ok to Modify Gas Pipe Line behind the Gas Range in this way

tester22 Member Posts: 48
Hi guys, I don't have Gas Shut Off Valve easily to Turn Off Gas in case Gas Leak in Emergency situation, so I want to modify the black Iron Gas Pipe behind the Range in this way, so that Shut Off Valve install behind the Stove 4 or 5 foot above and every one in Home easily Shut Off in Emergency.

I am worry about this is 1/2" Pipe line, if I make this many Bends in Pipes, then it is going to decrease GAS PRESSURE, so I am not weather is this good idea or not.

Please make me correct, still can I get same good Gas pressure like 7 WC (water column), after modifying Gas Pipe line behind the Range or my Gas Pressure decrease and it is not good idea.

Let me know please.



    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,021
    Adding 2 90's to the piping should not affect your pressure.

    Do you have an open basement under the range? If so you could add a valve down there and leave the one behind the range. That worked out for me in my house.

    If the range is not on an outside wall, then you could cut an access panel behind it and cover with access door. That would be flush to the wall and paintable.
  • tester22
    tester22 Member Posts: 48
    I don't have open Basement, I am in Town House.
    If it is not necessary in case if Gas Leak, then this very heavy Range unable to Move to Shut Off Gas, so what other option to Shut Off Gas, if I not make this situation easy.

    I know out side House, there is a City Gas Meter is there, and City can Shut Off Gas with Tools, but ordinary home Peoples they don't know there is a Shut Off Valve out side House and need a Tool to do that.

    So I am thinking.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 21,790
    The valve fits into a notch in the bottom of the stove. With that piping you will not be able to push the stove all the way to the wall. If that is a concern?

    Sometimes pulling out the bottom drawer give you access to the valve. If you have long arms🤭
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • tester22
    tester22 Member Posts: 48
    Ok got it, I think no need to Modify and its look UGLY & when selling Home it can be problem,
    may be Stove not go in completely.
    and yes when we pull bottom drawer, I can see Shut Off Valve, but it is very very difficult to Turn Off from there, because Hand not reach there.

    Thanks for the Help.
  • realliveplumber
    realliveplumber Member Posts: 347
    You are way over thinking it.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,542
    Most gas meter shutoffs do not require special tools. Usually it just takes large crescent wrench on the flat tab.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,431
    I've never seen a gas stove / range with a shutoff you could get to without pulling it out first.
    It's only there so you can change the appliance without turning the entire building off.

    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    Dave in QCA
  • SgtMaj
    SgtMaj Member Posts: 74
    You’re way too concerned about a failure in your gas appliance. Will you also install a shutoff upstairs for your furnace or your water heater? See my point?
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,021
    This is for entertainment purposes only.

    This picture was taken a few years ago on the way to Mississippi from NE.
    Could be a hotel in Missouri.
    I am thinking that insurance or local fire marshall required tools at the gas meter to shut down the system.

    I believe that these small crescent wrenches would be challenged by the meter valves, but the AHJ must have been satisfied.

    High pressure into the hotel.....BTW, the ball valve on the left would shut the entire system down.

  • tester22
    tester22 Member Posts: 48
    Hi there, when I pull out Bottom Tray of my Gas Range then I can see like this below. So what is this WHITE KNOW inside it, and is there any way I can Turn OFF Gas in case if I notice any Gas Leak in this way.

    And what is the name of this WHITE KNOW Bottom of my Range inside it, and at this place my Hand can reach.

    please let me know....Thanks

  • realliveplumber
    realliveplumber Member Posts: 347
    Its not a knob. Its a cap. I don't know what it is for.

    The shut off valves for appliances are service valves, to be able to turn off the gas to service the appliance. They are not emergency or safety valves.

    If you smell gas or otherwise have a gas emergency, evacuate the building and call 911.
  • dko
    dko Member Posts: 549
    These units are usually supplied with convertible NG/LP regulators. Yours is factory set to NG.
    You only touch that if you were to convert to LP, which will probably be never. So don't touch it ^^