Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler losing water

Options
Kjmass1
Kjmass1 Member Posts: 241
edited January 7 in Strictly Steam
I have a 1970’s Penco steam boiler that was serviced and running at 82.5% last year. Never has any issues. Seems like I’m losing about 2” of water from the sight glass each week…seems like a lot? Doing about 15 cycles of 25 minutes each per day. Anything to be concerned with?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,383
    Options
    Yes indeed. While that is not outrageous, you really shouldn't be losing much if any. That water is going somewhere, and that's not good. There are many possible sources of a leak, and you should start looking for them. Likely culprits are wet returns -- but at that age, unhappily the boiler itself is also a likely culprit. Equally unhappily, so long as it is cold outside, finding a boiler leak can be difficult -- since the water tends to evaporate.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Waher
    Waher Member Posts: 252
    Options
    Either the boiler is leaking, a vent somewhere is leaking, or a return is leaking. Have you noticed any water damage or moisture anywhere in your home?
  • Kjmass1
    Options
    Yes indeed. While that is not outrageous, you really shouldn't be losing much if any. That water is going somewhere, and that's not good. There are many possible sources of a leak, and you should start looking for them. Likely culprits are wet returns -- but at that age, unhappily the boiler itself is also a likely culprit. Equally unhappily, so long as it is cold outside, finding a boiler leak can be difficult -- since the water tends to evaporate.
    It’s a 1 pipe- no drips or anything in the basement pipes, no pooling around the boiler. It’s dusty down there so I’d see a pooling stain if there was one. 

Don’t see anything around the radiators or the valves either. 

Only change from last year was I turned in my attic radiator- it’s finished and partially used, but the extra edr helps the boiler recover from small setbacks without hissing. I’m going to shut that one off for this week and see if that helps. 
  • 109A_5
    109A_5 Member Posts: 1,386
    Options
    Hello, @Kjmass1,

Any excessive white looking exhaust out of the chimney ?
    You could let the boiler cool down and then flood just the boiler and see if it leaks. Then return the water level to normal before use.

National - U.S. Gas Boiler 45+ Years Old
    Steam 300 SQ. FT. - EDR 347
    One Pipe System
  • Kjmass1
    Options
    109A_5 said:
    Hello, @Kjmass1, Any excessive white looking exhaust out of the chimney ? You could let the boiler cool down and then flood just the boiler and see if it leaks. Then return the water level to normal before use.
    Just looked at the start of this cycle and there is white coming out of the chimney…not sure if it is excessive. It’s 28F outside and snowy. 
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,708
    Options
    helps the boiler recover from small setbacks without hissing

Regardless of the EDR, your boiler shouldn't be hissing. Depending on where and when you are hearing this hissing, this could be the source of your water loss
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,383
    Options
    Kjmass1 said:

109A_5 said:

Hello, @Kjmass1,

Any excessive white looking exhaust out of the chimney ?
    You could let the boiler cool down and then flood just the boiler and see if it leaks. Then return the water level to normal before use.

Just looked at the start of this cycle and there is white coming out of the chimney…not sure if it is excessive. It’s 28F outside and snowy. 

This is not good. It can be difficult to gauge what is or is not excessive, but an oil fired boiler should have very little, and rather wispy, smoke which dissipates quickly, even in humid air. I'm thinking leak in the boiler... but I'd also check that radiator you just turned on.

One thing about leaks. If it is a steam leak, say from a vent not sealing all the way or leaks around a valve stem, you won't see it. The steam will evaporate very rapidly. A cold mirror near the possible location may, however, show moisture. And you re not looking at a lovely puddle. One drip every ten seconds is a gallon or so per day -- and will, in most cases, dry out without showing much.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Kjmass1
    Options
    109A_5 said:
    Hello, @Kjmass1, Any excessive white looking exhaust out of the chimney ? You could let the boiler cool down and then flood just the boiler and see if it leaks. Then return the water level to normal before use.
    This is not good. It can be difficult to gauge what is or is not excessive, but an oil fired boiler should have very little, and rather wispy, smoke which dissipates quickly, even in humid air. I'm thinking leak in the boiler... but I'd also check that radiator you just turned on. One thing about leaks. If it is a steam leak, say from a vent not sealing all the way or leaks around a valve stem, you won't see it. The steam will evaporate very rapidly. A cold mirror near the possible location may, however, show moisture. And you re not looking at a lovely puddle. One drip every ten seconds is a gallon or so per day -- and will, in most cases, dry out without showing much.
    Thanks- boiler is natural gas. It was tuned last Fall by the highly regarded crew on here for MA. 

I mentioned the extra radiator and EDR as my boiler is very oversized compared to the connected radiation. It’s perfectly silent and even unless coming out of a setback of a degree or two. What’s the significance of the white smoke- poorly burning? Same for nat gas?
  • Kjmass1
    Options
    helps the boiler recover from small setbacks without hissing
    Regardless of the EDR, your boiler shouldn't be hissing. Depending on where and when you are hearing this hissing, this could be the source of your water loss
    Boiler doesn’t hiss- was speaking to radiator vents under pressure. 
  • 109A_5
    109A_5 Member Posts: 1,386
    Options
    Kjmass1 said:

What’s the significance of the white smoke- poorly burning? Same for nat gas?

Normally there is some moisture in the exhaust gas. If the boiler's heat exchanger is compromised above the water line some of the steam goes up the chimney instead of heating your home.

National - U.S. Gas Boiler 45+ Years Old
    Steam 300 SQ. FT. - EDR 347
    One Pipe System
  • Kjmass1
    Options
    Looks like I’m losing about the same amount of water with that radiator shut off…sounds like I need to call someone in. 
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 911
    Options
    Does any of the return piping run underground or the supply run through a crawl space? If so, that is should be investigated.