Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

OWB Vertical lift with extremely low gpm's issue

Options
rustic
rustic Member Posts: 2
edited January 7 in Radiant Heating
So I have an outdoor wood boiler (heatmor 200), 1" pex supply and return with a 60/40  water to proprolyne.  About 80ft from boiler to manifold. I have four 1/2" 250' loops in slab on grade 2" pink under entire slab. 1 grundfos pump of 1/6hp at boiler supply line rated with a max head of 29.  Supply line from boiler has a total of 13ft vertical elevation from the time it travels to the house up the utility room wall across the ceiling and down to the manifold. I filter installed. Boiler water runs around 180° and with the mixing valve i send it into the floor around 125°. Problem is my flow meters on my manifold dont even register. Temp sends back to boiler at like 45°.  cannot really get any heat into the floor. Tho it does circulate, just dont think its fast enough. I was told a 1/25 would be suffient, but could not even push the water, so i went to the 1/6 hp 3speed and still having issues. Do i still need a bigger pump? Maryjane another? Is my vertical elevation too great for the pump? Lines and 1-1/4" plumbing are not restricted. Everything is new except for the older boiler. 

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,189
    edited January 7
    Options
    You need a circulator after the mix valve before the manifold. That pumps needs to pull the blend of hot and cooler return to mix properly. The pump overcomes the flow resistence of the mix valve also, they have small passageways inside.

Remove any check valves and strainers at the H and C port of the mix valve

How do the supply and return pex to the manifolds connect into the OWB?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    GGross
  • rustic
    rustic Member Posts: 2
    Options
    They are connected directly 1" pex to the 1 1/4" supply and return ports. No check valve at return just the pump has a check valve. See pic
  • hot_rod
    Options
    Here is a simple solution. Loop from OWF comes into the building and goes right back out. Think of this as a heat conveyer belt :)

Two tees connected into that loop to pull heat from the "conveyer". Keep the tees 6" or less from one another.

A 3 way mix valve, an air purger, the pump.
    On the return a ball valve with hose bib for purging.

Yo need two pumps, the conveyer belt loop, and the radiant loop. It will not work with just one pump.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,360
    Options
    With regard to 'lift" -- in a closed system, such as yours, vertical differences are taken care of by the static pressure in the system -- not the circulator. But as others have said, you need two pumps...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • leonz
    leonz Member Posts: 1,147
    Options

The cooler water returning to your forest eater is fighting against the water weight in the boiler.

Make sure you remove the check valve in the existing circulator when you install the second circulator as well.
    GroundUp
  • hot_rod
    Options
    If you have heat emitters above the water level, you do have some “lift” the first time you turn on the pump. Water will stay up in that circuit as long as you don’t allow air into it. Then the circ is in closed loop and just overcomes piping friction.

Under some conditions you can boil and flash to steam in upper sections, when the pump stops you have negative pressure.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,918
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with that circ, the radiant is piped wrong. At the bare minimum, you need a constant loop from the OWB and back with a couple closely spaced tees to your radiant using an additional circ pulling from the mixed port of the mixing valve and pumping into the supply manifold. To do it correctly, you should separate the two systems completely using a heat exchanger and have the radiant be a pressurized system.
    Ironman
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    You’re gonna have constant problems with the radiant floor being directly connected to the unpressurized OWB. You need to put a sufficiently sized heat exchanger between the two systems and the necessary ancillary components to pressurize the radiant floor.

Then, as mentioned, the pump for the radiant needs to pull through the mixing valve and pump into the manifold.

I do these OWB systems all the time and if you’ll p/m me, I’ll give you a diagram.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    GroundUp