Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler humming sound in the walls

teeRN1324
teeRN1324 Member Posts: 25
edited January 6 in Plumbing
Maybe someone can help me with this noise.
I have a boiler system for my heat of course with baseboards . Recently we started hearing a loud humming through the walls when the heat would click on and stop obviously when the heat clicks off. When we went to the boiler we found out the damper vent was stuck in an open position and they said tht would stop the sound since it sounded like tht was where the humming was coming from …we changed the damper we still have the sound happening …no one can tell me what it can be …..maybe some experts on here can give me a clue …
Thank you in advance and happy new year …

Comments

• ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,926
    Please edit your post to remove the amount you were robbed. And call them up and ask them to credit you since they didn't fix the problem.

NJ Steam Homeowner.
    Free NJ and remote steam advice: https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/new-jersey-steam-help/
    See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el

• MikeAmann
    MikeAmann Member Posts: 998
    You might be hearing the water as it circulates through the baseboards.
    HVACNUT
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,945
    If the noise started recently, and there were NO changes made to the system or its vents or the flue or otherwise, it's not likely to be associated with the vent and flue. It is more likely that something in the piping shifter very slightly in such a way that the vibration for the circulating pump or the vibration from the burner or its pump (is this oil?) is being transmitted into the house structure. This can be really hard to find, but anywhere that a pipe is firmly attached to or firmly touching a part of the structure is a possibility.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,691
    What type of circulator pump?The 3 piece can develop noise if the coupling or motor mounts are failing.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • teeRN1324

Not sure what the circular pump is …but sometimes when I held the damper vent the sound would decrease but idk….heres the pic of my system.
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 2,122
    Often when I come across a problem like this, a pipe or component is rubbing up against something causing a vibration noise that reverberates throughout the house.
    Turn the heat up make the boiler turn on and while it is running, gently push on pipes and anything else that may be a little loose. Someone may have possibly brushed up against something while working on the boiler causing this noise.
  • teeRN1324
    Thank you very much. I will try that…..
    Intplm.